GEN 2 1st oil change / analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I had the first oil change done on my truck. There were 4920 miles on the clock. Ford calls for a 1 year / 5-10k mile interval using either synthetic or blend oil. I had the local stealership do the work, get a sample and I had it analyzed by Blackstone labs.

This engine looks about as good as we’d expect for a brand new engine. ...

No fuel dilution, water, or coolant contamination was found. Eventually this engine should look like universal averages, which are based on about 5,900 miles on the oil, but give it a few oil changes first. The TBN read 2.7, which is fine. Try 7,000 miles next.

The flashpoint was listed at 400F from the sample. I wasn’t expecting any problems and didn’t find any. They’re indicating I can push the change interval back a couple thousand miles. So, if you’re wondering about oil change intervals, there’s some real world data.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did my 2nd oil change at 4800 miles... planning to run this stuff until 10k, and send a sample to Blackstone.

First oil change was at 1800 and I went with Motorcraft semi-synthetic... this go 'round I went with Royal Purple

Miker397

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info. Nice to see something besides "I change my oil every 240 miles bc it's cheap insurance" nonsense.

And this was the original oil which isn't even full synthetic, which at about $30 for 6 quarts at Walmart, is a no brainer if you diy.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Probably one of the more useful posts I've read in a while.

But 5qt mobile1 full synthetic $11 (after rebate) at Walmart. Makes me wonder why dealers charge and extra $30-40 for a full synthetic change.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a different lab than the one which was busted by a catch-can oil sample a couple years ago?

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Follow up question for everyone reading this thread. How many people who sent samples from their V6TT Raptor engine have had it report a problem or suggest a shorter oil change interval? How many have had it say everything was great and they can extend their oil change interval?

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not surprised they told op to go longer than 5k. Oil is way better these days. I'm doing whatever the computer says, ends up around 7-8... But i think out of curiosity I'll send in a sample. Is everyone using Blackstone? Or is there a different/better?
On a side note, i have a cng p71 that was purchased new. 230k on the clock and oil changes have been done every 5k w/motocraft syn. I'm thinking i could easily push to 10k on that car because at 5k the oil is still clear (natural gas burns really clean)
I did 5k because it was easy to track... Haha
mental note-test that oil too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro