17 Raptor possible diff leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17lbraptor

Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. This forum had been a excellent resource for me throughout my purchase and first weeks with my raptor. I was under my raptor had completed my first oil change 3720 miles and noticed some fluid under what appears to be the front diff where the axle meets. Just wanted to share a picture and see if anyone else had noticed this. It is on the drivers side. I can't tell if it's a grease breaking down or a slight leak. I really appreciate any thoughts or feedback and hope to be an asset to this great forum. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7959.jpg
    IMG_7959.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7957.jpg
    IMG_7957.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7955.jpg
    IMG_7955.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 86

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.

Pics. So it did happen.

It’s hard to tell, but, you could try cleaning up with a q tip to see what you have there - axle grease, other fluid seepage, or the Black Oil(™) from the X-Files. If it’s the latter, you’ll be f*cked the minute you touch it, but the likelihood of it being the Black Oil is slim... no more than 10 percent.

You could always take your pics to the dealer for a verdict on it.

OP
OP

17lbraptor

Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.

Pics. So it did happen.

It’s hard to tell, but, you could try cleaning up with a q tip to see what you have there - axle grease, other fluid seepage, or the Black Oil(™) from the X-Files. If it’s the latter, you’ll be f*cked the minute you touch it, but the likelihood of it being the Black Oil is slim... no more than 10 percent.

Thanks for the quick response. I will wipe it off and see the color etc. good advice.

OP
OP

17lbraptor

Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.

Pics. So it did happen.

Thanks again for the tips. What is the black oil? Is that the color of the diff fluid?

0r30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wipe it off, if it comes back the pinion seal is bad. No big deal, take it in and get it replaced.

I took mine in yesterday. The noise is the part I can’t figure out. I’m hoping it just needs to be topped off with oil after the seal is replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbingle1184

Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. This forum had been a excellent resource for me throughout my purchase and first weeks with my raptor. I was under my raptor had completed my first oil change 3720 miles and noticed some fluid under what appears to be the front diff where the axle meets. Just wanted to share a picture and see if anyone else had noticed this. It is on the drivers side. I can't tell if it's a grease breaking down or a slight leak. I really appreciate any thoughts or feedback and hope to be an asset to this great forum. Thanks
I have the same issue. Is this what you were dealing with? 67227F97-F5A2-4CEB-A5B8-17A9838132D4.jpeg