1600 Miles Questions and Observations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterScott

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do love the truck, even as a daily driver. Couple of questions/observations. What tire pressure are folks running for everyday driving?

My brakes feel very mushy, wondering if it is my truck or everyone's.

I need to get a Forescan to eliminate the auto stop start, fake engine noise and the double honk.

I wish the 4-wheel drive selector had four indents and just didn't rotate all the way around and when you change deriving modes, I'd prefer a confirmation screen instead of just activating 4 wheel drive or auto mode. I know other probably prefer to keep it the way it is.

I am having issues with how the truck sounds - not sure but I need to start by eliminating the fake engine noise.

I have an Edge Insight CTS display, is anyone else using one - don't really need to but I have it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I do love the truck, even as a daily driver. Couple of questions/observations. What tire pressure are folks running for everyday driving?

I need to get a Forescan to eliminate the auto stop start, fake engine noise and the double honk.

I wish the 4-wheel drive selector had four indents and just didn't rotate all the way around and when you change deriving modes, I'd prefer a confirmation screen instead of just activating 4 wheel drive or auto mode. I know other probably prefer to keep it the way it is.

I am having issues with how the truck sounds - not sure but I need to start by eliminating the fake engine noise.

I have an Edge Insight CTS display, is anyone else using one - don't really need to but I have it.

I run close to the factory 38/38, maybe a couple of psi lower in the rear, for pavement that’s fine.

Brakes are not a standout feature of the Raptor in general, and it’s exacerbated by the suspension travel. You’re not the only one to complain about this.

Honestly, if you’re that bothered by the engine sound, go take a ride in a wrx.
it’s not that bad unless you convince yourself it is. I do like the engine / exhaust sound a bit better without the fake engine noise, but be warned - you’ll hear a lot more “ambient” road noise, NVH, etc. It’s not bothersome, just there. The noise cancellation and fake engine noice cover a lot of low level noises.

Forscan rocks. do the Lincoln fold too. Even if you think it’s not all that, I’ve been using it for a while and it’s great to have the mirrors out of the way in tight parking.

OP
OP
MisterScott

MisterScott

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run close to the factory 38/38, maybe a couple of psi lower in the rear, for pavement that’s fine.

Brakes are not a standout feature of the Raptor in general, and it’s exacerbated by the suspension travel. You’re not the only one to complain about this.

Honestly, if you’re that bothered by the engine sound, go take a ride in a wrx.
it’s not that bad unless you convince yourself it is. I do like the engine / exhaust sound a bit better without the fake engine noise, but be warned - you’ll hear a lot more “ambient” road noise, NVH, etc. It’s not bothersome, just there. The noise cancellation and fake engine noice cover a lot of low level noises.

Forscan rocks. do the Lincoln fold too. Even if you think it’s not all that, I’ve been using it for a while and it’s great to have the mirrors out of the way in tight parking.

Thanks. I am just used to V8 gas motors and the power strokes so more mechanical noise. I do notice more mechanical noises with this truck. Suspension and tranny. Need to get to a Forscan device.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score

FYI, the reason the 4WD/Diff lock are not position based switches like in the regular F-150 is because the Raptor has driving modes and the truck changes 4WD and Diff lock settings automatically based on the mode selected.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lots of people who disabled the fake sound ended up turning it back on.

The brakes are the brakes, it's not a sports car. Big heavy truck, big heavy tires, soft suspension and brakes on the small side due to small wheels. That all combines to give you a not so great brake feel or performance unfortunately.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
36 psi front 32 psi back. More grip and better wear, doesn't really affect MPG at all. Speaking of MPG, the autostart stop really makes a difference, and if you learn its nuances it works quite well.

Fake noise disable sucks. The engine sounds the same, but quieter, and you get more road noise.

As far as brakes go, I've not driven high end sports cars, but having used the brakes on and off-road, I've found them to be great. Shuts down the truck surprisingly quick, as far as I'm concerned.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
turn off the auto stop/start,

most annoying feature.

takes 1 min to permanently disable, best mod I have done yet!!!

Deezel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[/COLOR]
Lots of people who disabled the fake sound ended up turning it back on.

The brakes are the brakes, it's not a sports car. Big heavy truck, big heavy tires, soft suspension and brakes on the small side due to small wheels. That all combines to give you a not so great brake feel or performance unfortunately.

This is a little disappointing to hear. I've been pretty impressed with my Gen 1 brakes, even towing a 8000lb trailer! My other car is a track prep'd 1800lb Lotus lol, so I know what good brakes are.

Being that gen 2 is substantially lighter I'd expect it to be much better. Of course it also comes down to grip, braking power and weight distribution..

Google says 60-0 distance on the Gen 2 is 140ft. The gen 1 was ~152ish feet, that's pretty impressive for a fullsize pickup. However the gen1 super cab with 5.4L was 20feet shorter?!:jawdrop:

On my Gen 1 I did have some soft brake symptoms after unhooking the vaccum lines for my IWEs. I thought I had them plugged up good, but I could def tell I wasn't getting full brake assist.

I plotted the total vacuum using the Torque OBDII app and tried messing with the vaccuum lines. I found a slight leak on one of the lines, got a better fitting plug for the end and taped over it with Gorilla tape. AFAIK the Gen 2s use the same vacuum actuated hub system.

Given that these are basically new trucks this is unlikely, but you may want to make sure there isn't a vacuum leak somewhere in the system if it's feeling under powered.

Also I've heard of issues with getting ABS modules bled properly at the factory. Hopefully Ford has this figured out but I've had this issue on a few vehicles. You have to go out and get the ABS system to cycle by doing some beyond threshold braking :evillol: (and give yourself whiplash in the process) OR there are some scan tools you can use to manually cycle the solenoids. This would be the preferred method LOL.

If you're really going to push the truck I would elect to do a total bleed on the system and swap in some better fluid. Castrol SRF is expensive stuff, but we use that in all of our track cars and the stuff lasts forever and makes a huge difference in pedal feel. Torque fluid (if you can still find it) is also a great cheaper alternative.

https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-SRF-Racing-Brake-Fluid/dp/B000JL760C/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1517167000&sr=1-1&keywords=castrol+srf

I got the super duty pads for my Gen 1 and that also made a large difference on initial bite and fade. Hopefully they'll make these for the Gen 2!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SJSF1K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

torrin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[/COLOR]

This is a little disappointing to hear. I've been pretty impressed with my Gen 1 brakes, even towing a 8000lb trailer! My other car is a track prep'd 1800lb Lotus lol, so I know what good brakes are.

Being that gen 2 is substantially lighter I'd expect it to be much better. Of course it also comes down to grip, braking power and weight distribution..

Google says 60-0 distance on the Gen 2 is 140ft. The gen 1 was ~152ish feet, that's pretty impressive for a fullsize pickup. However the gen1 super cab with 5.4L was 20feet shorter?!:jawdrop:

On my Gen 1 I did have some soft brake symptoms after unhooking the vaccum lines for my IWEs. I thought I had them plugged up good, but I could def tell I wasn't getting full brake assist.

I plotted the total vacuum using the Torque OBDII app and tried messing with the vaccuum lines. I found a slight leak on one of the lines, got a better fitting plug for the end and taped over it with Gorilla tape. AFAIK the Gen 2s use the same vacuum actuated hub system.

Given that these are basically new trucks this is unlikely, but you may want to make sure there isn't a vacuum leak somewhere in the system if it's feeling under powered.

Also I've heard of issues with getting ABS modules bled properly at the factory. Hopefully Ford has this figured out but I've had this issue on a few vehicles. You have to go out and get the ABS system to cycle by doing some beyond threshold braking :evillol: (and give yourself whiplash in the process) OR there are some scan tools you can use to manually cycle the solenoids. This would be the preferred method LOL.

If you're really going to push the truck I would elect to do a total bleed on the system and swap in some better fluid. Castrol SRF is expensive stuff, but we use that in all of our track cars and the stuff lasts forever and makes a huge difference in pedal feel. Torque fluid (if you can still find it) is also a great cheaper alternative.

https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-SRF-Racing-Brake-Fluid/dp/B000JL760C/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1517167000&sr=1-1&keywords=castrol+srf

I got the super duty pads for my Gen 1 and that also made a large difference on initial bite and fade. Hopefully they'll make these for the Gen 2!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SJSF1K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Meh, everything is subjective. The brakes on my '12 and '14 sucked and so do the brakes on the '18. The '18s are a little softer, but they stop as well. Once I get more miles on it, I will prolly swap out to ceramic pads with better rotors, that helped my '14.