10‘000 mile road trip - review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Traveller66

Reaction score
I did purchase my 2018 Raptor back in January and started a roadtrip with my wife in April. Right now I am in Salt Lake City - the Raptor goes in for the 10‘000 mile Service tomorrow.

I structure my review into sections:
- The vehicle
- The add ons
- The trip

The vehicle
It is my first Ford and I am quite pleased with the performance over the last 6 weeks of heavy using.
Gas consumption:
Overall I am doing 17 mpg on road and around 10-12 mpg on unpaved roads.
Ride comfort:
The first 300 miles, the truck just jumped around. Based on info in the forum I lowered the tire pressure from 46 psi to around 40. The ride comfort improved considerably and is now very good. As the tires are rather big and I cover a lot of different climates (30 degrees in Wisconsin, 110 in Big Bend National Park) the tire pressure has to be monitored frequently.
Engine and Power:
For long distances the power and transmission are just fine - of course I would prefer a V8 sound. In normal Mode I wish the downshifts would kick in faster and the acceleration at 75+ is not very swift. Offroad (mostly unpaved roads and tracks) I never hat an issue with grip or power.

What could be improved:
My biggest complaint is the truckbed. I have a tonneau cover and my camping gear inside. Going offroad means a lot of dust in the truckbed. I will try to seal the tailgate - but that will not be enough. I would appreciate, if the truck bed could be dust sealed.
The key. If I have the key in my front pocked - bend down to pick up a box - then the alarm goes off.
The inside door panel on the passenger side rattles a bit (try to fix that tomorrow).
The manual filler is a joke. If you want to poor gas from a jerry can into the tank - the plastic manual filler will never take the gas. And other manual fillers will not work - there is a second blockage before entering the tank.

The Add Ons:
- LineX spray in: Works really well
- Truck Cover USA (All American): Waterproof, very durable, Ability to get an additional Yakima Rack on top of it. Does not work, if there is ice on it and on dusty roads it does not roll back swiftly - whose it down will fix it
- Bed side rack from Build Right Industries: Allows me to mount 2 jerry cans for additional reach, expected in Yukon and Alaska

The trip:
My wife and I started the trip in Wisconsin, drove down the Charleston, made our way to Big Bend National Park and drive now north with the aim to hit Anchorage in July.

Attachments

• 351BB05A-7C06-4DD9-BB76-B0E3D9BE7710.jpg
    351BB05A-7C06-4DD9-BB76-B0E3D9BE7710.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 94
  • FB870890-2F79-43A4-8D08-98D8E9577106.jpg
    FB870890-2F79-43A4-8D08-98D8E9577106.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 96
  • BBCB528E-C213-427E-90AC-65F17699A853.jpg
    BBCB528E-C213-427E-90AC-65F17699A853.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 85E8023A-B8F2-432D-B41F-A74C76BCF62E.jpg
    85E8023A-B8F2-432D-B41F-A74C76BCF62E.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 110CE315-0093-465E-A47E-4E5C86CB3604.jpg
    110CE315-0093-465E-A47E-4E5C86CB3604.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 97

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Awesome! drive safe and I wish you and your wife great travels to come.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice trip. Keep posting as you go. As long as you are in SLC, take a trip out to Moab and Bear's Ears... Lots of great wheeling out west here. Are you planning on going through Idaho on your way to Alaska?

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did purchase my 2018 Raptor back in January and started a roadtrip with my wife in April. Right now I am in Salt Lake City - the Raptor goes in for the 10‘000 mile Service tomorrow.

I structure my review into sections:
- The vehicle
- The add ons
- The trip

The vehicle
It is my first Ford and I am quite pleased with the performance over the last 6 weeks of heavy using.
Gas consumption:
Overall I am doing 17 mpg on road and around 10-12 mpg on unpaved roads.
Ride comfort:
The first 300 miles, the truck just jumped around. Based on info in the forum I lowered the tire pressure from 46 psi to around 40. The ride comfort improved considerably and is now very good. As the tires are rather big and I cover a lot of different climates (30 degrees in Wisconsin, 110 in Big Bend National Park) the tire pressure has to be monitored frequently.
Engine and Power:
For long distances the power and transmission are just fine - of course I would prefer a V8 sound. In normal Mode I wish the downshifts would kick in faster and the acceleration at 75+ is not very swift. Offroad (mostly unpaved roads and tracks) I never hat an issue with grip or power.

What could be improved:
My biggest complaint is the truckbed. I have a tonneau cover and my camping gear inside. Going offroad means a lot of dust in the truckbed. I will try to seal the tailgate - but that will not be enough. I would appreciate, if the truck bed could be dust sealed.
The key. If I have the key in my front pocked - bend down to pick up a box - then the alarm goes off.
The inside door panel on the passenger side rattles a bit (try to fix that tomorrow).
The manual filler is a joke. If you want to poor gas from a jerry can into the tank - the plastic manual filler will never take the gas. And other manual fillers will not work - there is a second blockage before entering the tank.

The Add Ons:
- LineX spray in: Works really well
- Truck Cover USA (All American): Waterproof, very durable, Ability to get an additional Yakima Rack on top of it. Does not work, if there is ice on it and on dusty roads it does not roll back swiftly - whose it down will fix it
- Bed side rack from Build Right Industries: Allows me to mount 2 jerry cans for additional reach, expected in Yukon and Alaska

The trip:
My wife and I started the trip in Wisconsin, drove down the Charleston, made our way to Big Bend National Park and drive now north with the aim to hit Anchorage in July.

When you stop in Anchorage--give me a shout!! Make sure you eat at the "MOOSES TOOTH PIZZA" . the best pizza ever #3 in the nation ranked a couple years ago and they make ALL their micro brew beers--about 20