1 month review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ice

Reaction score
So I've had my 2017 SCAB for about one month and here are my initial thoughts so far.

1. First and foremost, It's a little more sluggish than I thought It'd be. I feel like I have to really get on the gas pedal to get it up to normal speed, and when I let off the gas to coast it slows down quicker than I want it to. So I constantly have to have my foot on the gas to maintain the same speed. I do a lot of city driving so it's a lot of stop and go. Granted this is my first truck so maybe I'm just not used to how heavy it is.

2. I didn't figure out how to change the different modes until last week, but when I put it into Sport it made a world of difference. SHouldve been the standard driving option LOL

3. Tires are kinda skiddish when making some maneuvers. I'm running 38 PSI cold.

4. Dips and bumps are non existent as long as I dont have my starbucks in the truck. :biggrin: Love hitting them without slowing down.

5. It's not as difficult as I thought it'd be to park, turn, squeeze around cars etc.. I do have a scab though so that extra ft definitely helps a lot.

6. When I shift into park it lurches like a teeny tiny bit. Pretty sure this is normal but just more noticeable since it's a big truck.

7. Otherwise I love it. I can't wait to do some actual offroading and test out its full capabilities.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I run 34-35 rear cold so it warms up into the "street sweet spot".

I agree with whats said above. Use your parking brake. Also, if youre not already, on a cold start let the high idle come down a bit before you drive off..

One last thing, the only thing skiddish should be your underwear after driving the **** out of it! Have fun! :favorites13:

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
RE: 1&2. Raptor “normal” mode is the laziest vehicle I’ve ever driven. As you observed, sport mode is way better and there’s no practical way to make sport the default mode or have the truck “remember” the last used mode.

note - when you change drive modes, your transfer case setting will change unless you’re in the default mode; so, if you are in 4a, switch to sport, now you’re in 2h. etc. transfer case setting does not change if you stop the truck and restart.

If you’re going to tune the truck it’s probably best to go straight to the tune. If you’re not going to tune the truck, learn to select sport mode / 4a / stop/start buttons. I prefer sport for traffic driving.

Another option is the pedal commander which tricks the truck into thinking more pedal is being used than actually is. Throttle response with the PC is significantly improved.

re: 3 38 psi cold is fine for a fully loaded bed, but if you have nothing in the bed you can drop a few psi. be careful though if you’re on the street, drop too far and your soft sidewalls get even more flexible and introduce more variables. If you have them just right, the tires will work as a component in the suspension. else, the ride is a bit harsh or marshmallowy depending on where you set the psi.

Re: 4 You won’t spill starbucks if you hit it fast enough. I hate those damn speed tables though because it kind of ruins the tempo.

I have no lurch shifting into park, that doesn’t sound good.

The 2017+ Raptors are a blast to drive and huge fun off road.

OP
OP
I

Ice

Reaction score
RE: 1&2. Raptor “normal” mode is the laziest vehicle I’ve ever driven. As you observed, sport mode is way better and there’s no practical way to make sport the default mode or have the truck “remember” the last used mode.

note - when you change drive modes, your transfer case setting will change unless you’re in the default mode; so, if you are in 4a, switch to sport, now you’re in 2h. etc. transfer case setting does not change if you stop the truck and restart.

If you’re going to tune the truck it’s probably best to go straight to the tune. If you’re not going to tune the truck, learn to select sport mode / 4a / stop/start buttons. I prefer sport for traffic driving.

Another option is the pedal commander which tricks the truck into thinking more pedal is being used than actually is. Throttle response with the PC is significantly improved.

re: 3 38 psi cold is fine for a fully loaded bed, but if you have nothing in the bed you can drop a few psi. be careful though if you’re on the street, drop too far and your soft sidewalls get even more flexible and introduce more variables. If you have them just right, the tires will work as a component in the suspension. else, the ride is a bit harsh or marshmallowy depending on where you set the psi.

Re: 4 You won’t spill starbucks if you hit it fast enough. I hate those damn speed tables though because it kind of ruins the tempo.

I have no lurch shifting into park, that doesn’t sound good.

The 2017+ Raptors are a blast to drive and huge fun off road.

Lazy as hell haha. ALso regarding the parking, It's not so much a "lurch" .. more of like a tiny movement when putting into park without pressing the parking brake. Do you engage the parking brake when you park?

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

MPT 93prx and sluggish will disappear for good

It's in my list of things to do, but I'm going to wait until I hit the 10k mile mark... at 4k right now

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

I run 34-35 rear cold so it warms up into the "street sweet spot".

I agree with whats said above. Use your parking brake. Also, if youre not already, on a cold start let the high idle come down a bit before you drive off..

One last thing, the only thing skiddish should be your underwear after driving the **** out of it! Have fun! :favorites13:

Yeah I'll start using my parking brake. does your truck have movement too if you dont engage the brake? Just want to make sure it's not anything wrong with the transmission or anything.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Lazy as hell haha. ALso regarding the parking, It's not so much a "lurch" .. more of like a tiny movement when putting into park without pressing the parking brake. Do you engage the parking brake when you park?

Not if I’m on level ground I don’t, or even a slight incline. If it’s enough that I’ll drift fwd / backward then yes, I use the parking brake

https://www.cars.com/articles/why-i...matic-transmission-out-of-park-1420684865566/

From the rare, but it happens files - we had a neighbor whose parking brake froze one winter on a particularly cold day; 0F or low single digits F. I always thought that was some kind of urban myth before then.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I'll start using my parking brake. does your truck have movement too if you dont engage the brake? Just want to make sure it's not anything wrong with the transmission or anything.

It does not lurch.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm running 32 psi in the rear on my 17 SCAB and I am wondering if it is still too high. Part of it is these KO2s have a pretty crappy skid rating and part of it is that the truck is high torque, light bed.

Still, I ran at 38 for the first 10k and got excessive overinflated wear signs. Many others are reporting this as well.