Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]

1 month review

This is a discussion on 1 month review within the Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
So I've had my 2017 SCAB for about one month and here are my initial thoughts so far. 1. First ...

User Tag List

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default 1 month review
So I've had my 2017 SCAB for about one month and here are my initial thoughts so far.

1. First and foremost, It's a little more sluggish than I thought It'd be. I feel like I have to really get on the gas pedal to get it up to normal speed, and when I let off the gas to coast it slows down quicker than I want it to. So I constantly have to have my foot on the gas to maintain the same speed. I do a lot of city driving so it's a lot of stop and go. Granted this is my first truck so maybe I'm just not used to how heavy it is.

2. I didn't figure out how to change the different modes until last week, but when I put it into Sport it made a world of difference. SHouldve been the standard driving option LOL

3. Tires are kinda skiddish when making some maneuvers. I'm running 38 PSI cold.

4. Dips and bumps are non existent as long as I dont have my starbucks in the truck. Love hitting them without slowing down.

5. It's not as difficult as I thought it'd be to park, turn, squeeze around cars etc.. I do have a scab though so that extra ft definitely helps a lot.

6. When I shift into park it lurches like a teeny tiny bit. Pretty sure this is normal but just more noticeable since it's a big truck.

7. Otherwise I love it. I can't wait to do some actual offroading and test out its full capabilities.

Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Ice View Post
3. Tires are kinda skiddish when making some maneuvers. I'm running 38 PSI cold.
Dropping your rear pressure to somewhere in the 30-34 range will help a lot.
Ice likes this.
Lasercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mad Frog Mattis

Mentioned: 1110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

6. When I shift into park it lurches like a teeny tiny bit. Pretty sure this is normal but just more noticeable since it's a big truck.
Use your parking brake.
fx4210, Booth9999 and Ice like this.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

"GEN2 Foamer"

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

I run 34-35 rear cold so it warms up into the "street sweet spot".

I agree with whats said above. Use your parking brake. Also, if youre not already, on a cold start let the high idle come down a bit before you drive off..

One last thing, the only thing skiddish should be your underwear after driving the sh!t out of it! Have fun!

Last edited by Robtor310; 06-13-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Robtor310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

MPT 93prx and sluggish will disappear for good
Ice likes this.
kandewinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
FRF Addict

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

RE: 1&2. Raptor ďnormalĒ mode is the laziest vehicle Iíve ever driven. As you observed, sport mode is way better and thereís no practical way to make sport the default mode or have the truck ďrememberĒ the last used mode.

note - when you change drive modes, your transfer case setting will change unless youíre in the default mode; so, if you are in 4a, switch to sport, now youíre in 2h. etc. transfer case setting does not change if you stop the truck and restart.

If youíre going to tune the truck itís probably best to go straight to the tune. If youíre not going to tune the truck, learn to select sport mode / 4a / stop/start buttons. I prefer sport for traffic driving.

Another option is the pedal commander which tricks the truck into thinking more pedal is being used than actually is. Throttle response with the PC is significantly improved.

re: 3 38 psi cold is fine for a fully loaded bed, but if you have nothing in the bed you can drop a few psi. be careful though if youíre on the street, drop too far and your soft sidewalls get even more flexible and introduce more variables. If you have them just right, the tires will work as a component in the suspension. else, the ride is a bit harsh or marshmallowy depending on where you set the psi.

Re: 4 You wonít spill starbucks if you hit it fast enough. I hate those damn speed tables though because it kind of ruins the tempo.

I have no lurch shifting into park, that doesnít sound good.

The 2017+ Raptors are a blast to drive and huge fun off road.
HotLap and Ice like this.
smurfslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ice

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by smurfslayer View Post
RE: 1&2. Raptor ďnormalĒ mode is the laziest vehicle Iíve ever driven. As you observed, sport mode is way better and thereís no practical way to make sport the default mode or have the truck ďrememberĒ the last used mode.

note - when you change drive modes, your transfer case setting will change unless youíre in the default mode; so, if you are in 4a, switch to sport, now youíre in 2h. etc. transfer case setting does not change if you stop the truck and restart.

If youíre going to tune the truck itís probably best to go straight to the tune. If youíre not going to tune the truck, learn to select sport mode / 4a / stop/start buttons. I prefer sport for traffic driving.

Another option is the pedal commander which tricks the truck into thinking more pedal is being used than actually is. Throttle response with the PC is significantly improved.

re: 3 38 psi cold is fine for a fully loaded bed, but if you have nothing in the bed you can drop a few psi. be careful though if youíre on the street, drop too far and your soft sidewalls get even more flexible and introduce more variables. If you have them just right, the tires will work as a component in the suspension. else, the ride is a bit harsh or marshmallowy depending on where you set the psi.

Re: 4 You wonít spill starbucks if you hit it fast enough. I hate those damn speed tables though because it kind of ruins the tempo.

I have no lurch shifting into park, that doesnít sound good.

The 2017+ Raptors are a blast to drive and huge fun off road.
Lazy as hell haha. ALso regarding the parking, It's not so much a "lurch" .. more of like a tiny movement when putting into park without pressing the parking brake. Do you engage the parking brake when you park?

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

Originally Posted by kandewinn View Post
MPT 93prx and sluggish will disappear for good
It's in my list of things to do, but I'm going to wait until I hit the 10k mile mark... at 4k right now

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Robtor310 View Post
I run 34-35 rear cold so it warms up into the "street sweet spot".

I agree with whats said above. Use your parking brake. Also, if youre not already, on a cold start let the high idle come down a bit before you drive off..

One last thing, the only thing skiddish should be your underwear after driving the sh!t out of it! Have fun!
Yeah I'll start using my parking brake. does your truck have movement too if you dont engage the brake? Just want to make sure it's not anything wrong with the transmission or anything.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
FRF Addict

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Lazy as hell haha. ALso regarding the parking, It's not so much a "lurch" .. more of like a tiny movement when putting into park without pressing the parking brake. Do you engage the parking brake when you park?
Not if Iím on level ground I donít, or even a slight incline. If itís enough that Iíll drift fwd / backward then yes, I use the parking brake

https://www.cars.com/articles/why-is...1420684865566/

From the rare, but it happens files - we had a neighbor whose parking brake froze one winter on a particularly cold day; 0F or low single digits F. I always thought that was some kind of urban myth before then.
smurfslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

"GEN2 Foamer"

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Yeah I'll start using my parking brake. does your truck have movement too if you dont engage the brake? Just want to make sure it's not anything wrong with the transmission or anything.
It does not lurch.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I'm running 32 psi in the rear on my 17 SCAB and I am wondering if it is still too high. Part of it is these KO2s have a pretty crappy skid rating and part of it is that the truck is high torque, light bed.

Still, I ran at 38 for the first 10k and got excessive overinflated wear signs. Many others are reporting this as well.
rtmozingo is offline   Reply With Quote