The $5 Tailgate Applique Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's good from a distance but IMO it's kind of uneven looking and too flat up close. I've seen guys try it with vinyl and it looked good to me. I think I'd peel that and give matte metallic gray vinyl a try, something like the color of the bumper and fenders.

OP
OP
ChevyChad

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting any rattle can to a brand new 70k truck scares the shit out of me... not going to lie.

Its not permanant ;-)

Its more of an experiment to see if i like the looks before doing a more long term solution.

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the Tailgate Applique is about the ugliest thing I've seen on a truck in a long time. I wouldn't buy a Raptor that had that on it. It's just flat out ugly as hell.

That being said, good work trying to cover up that eye sore.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice work OP. This is great that you don't need to remove the badges when using plastidip.

One idea, rustoleum makes a pastidip variety too, and offer it in clear as well. Ive done a few coats of their black, then coat or two in clear to give more a gloss look vs the matte. Sadly seems you need to recoat it every few months to keep the gloss.

Did the same w mine, but used vinyl. d0450ff9a54853c253ac3531776ad86b.jpg

If your medical skills are half as good as your knifeless tape skills your ER visitors are in good hands :winner_first_h4h:

Ditto, and doing the lower angled edge gives it more dimension. Opted to not re-apply the badging for cleaner look

370D970C-ED43-455B-A4FD-FA35F4AAB8F2_zpsgv0iqvcu.jpg

Last edited: