Winter tire advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GhostInTheMachine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Studs are legal where I live.

I just went through all of the winter tires on tire rack and 285/70/17 is the biggest I could get. That equates to a 32" tire. :/

Laidout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with the Duratracs.. They handle the ice and snow with ease. As they are a softer compound tire, they will wear quickly on dry roads during the spring and summer. I have noticed a lot of wear on mine this year, and will be making them a dedicated winter tire from now on.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
If you can get Blizzaks in a 35" and plan on using them only in the winter I would seriously consider them.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I felt that the stock BFGs were subpar in our winters.

My opinion, which sucks as much as the next guy's is that the stock BFGs are horrid in the snow.

correct. my truck came with bfg at's as well. stock. and... sucked in snow and ice roads.

Ok, I read your comments about the stock BFG's and maybe your right. I assumed it was the tires gripping the road. But, looking back it was most likely the mad skills of the awesome driver at the controls. Ya, that was defiantly it. :driver:

SVTBuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be my awesome winter driving skills too but I've had good experience with the stock BFGs in snow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377742757.676823.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377742757.676823.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 58

Macman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am not saying that the Stock BFGs are unbearable, I did fine in the winter with them. They are just not the best available option.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
The BFGs are just not good in the snow. My Terra Grapplers were much better, and those sucked. I can't wait to try out the Duratracs. I miss how my FJ handled in the snow

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be my awesome winter driving skills too but I've had good experience with the stock BFGs in snow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most all terrain 4x4 tires will definitely get you by during the winter months, but nothing beats a dedicated winter tire...It's truly amazing how much more traction and control you can have with the right tire for the snowy months!! The extra $$ for the rims and tires can sometimes be overwhelming, but you just have to weigh what you want from your truck during the winter months.. And how long you have to deal with the white stuff each year!!