Winter tire advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Think it all depends if it is slushy, ice, hard pack or powder.. Assuming they tested the Raptors in U.P. Michigan. Which has hard packed/powdery snow might explain why they are ***** in slushy/ice conditions.

-Greg

I totally agree Greg. The UP is almost like being in the mountains when it snows most of the time. It's ussually a very fine powdery snow in the dead of winter. I know when I lived in MO it was freezing rain and almost no snow.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
like mud slushy snow or wet snow packes in the tread and you have basicly a bald tire. I need deep groves that are good in bed.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I run the Goodyear MTRs on my 3, HATE them in the snow. I run in the winter with a few trucks that are not set up offroad as well as mine and the Duratracs just kick butt.

I am leaning towards Duratracs for the Raptor as my next tire, but still trying to decide

tikka

Reaction score
When looking for a winter tire (ice/compacted snow) I would not recommend the BF goodrich or Duratrac tires. I have run both and they do not compare to a winter specific tire. The question is who makes a winter specific tire with lots of syping (spelling???) and the proper rubber compound for lower temperatures?

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
duratrac has the best syping. if you need it more ice ready you will have to put studs in or chains on.

tikka

Reaction score
duratrac has the best syping. if you need it more ice ready you will have to put studs in or chains on.

Actually they are syped on average. For a winter tire they just don't perform. Still looking..... but...

Looks like Toyo makes a: LT325/65R18 which might work with new rims.

WinterStudless Light Truck Winter TireTough winter jobs just got a little bit easier, with Toyo Tires Open Country WLT1− our latest winter tire designed to provide excellent winter driving capabilities for a variety of heavy-duty light trucks, including pickups, vans, and SUVs. Designed to handle the increased load-carrying capacity required with these vehicles, the Open Country WLT1 delivers confident ice and snow capabilities and long wear life.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The stock BFG's pack up with snow just like they do with mud. The Duratrac might be good but just not a fan of the tread design it looks to much like a winter tire. I think I will go with TOYO M/T looks like an aggressive all purpose tire for the Raptor, anyone use those for the winter?

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another duratrac fan here, performed very well on hardpack roads, where my prev BFG AT KOs lacked

All that said, im going to try out the MTZs this year, plan to have the centers siped additionally... we'll see how they fair