Winter tire advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
duratracs have the highest severe snow rating of any goodyear truck tire.

Winter Tech - How to Confirm a Winter Performer

but i dont think they are "SNOW" tires, they are marketed as all terrain tires.

Also, it looks like you were wrong.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Ultra+Grip+Ice+WRT+LT

are their snow/ice tires.

According to tirerack, it looks like the duratracs do have the snowflake designation. Sweet, the more you know! If i was way up north i would still probably get a proper snow/ice tire vs duratracs even if they were studded. I just would be a bit weary of the compound given really really cold subzero conditions.

Last edited:

GPRaptor

Reaction score
Re: Brewboy

I feel your pain. The stock BF's are garbage in the north. I went with them all last season and it was embarrassing getting around. I am close to putting on the Goodyear duratracs. Anyone with any advice???

Bails_27

Reaction score
Winter Tires...

You're going to have to abandon hope as far as stock size goes, I did the same search a couple of years ago to no avail. I went with Blizzak DVM-1's and they are one of the top rated tires. Biggest I could get was 285's and they are pretty good in the snow. Rumor around here is that with Quebec going that route (fines/fault in winter collisions without snow tires) that the Alberta is going to go the same route but that's a discussion for another category...

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Duratracs are winter rated studdable tires that come in 315/70r17

In my opinion the best all around choice for the Raptor in winter environment.

-Greg

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Once I chew my stock tires up at TRR 2013, I'll run them through summer and get the duratracs for next winter.

This year in suck with the stock tire. Besides, the Snowball500 was predicated on the stock tire :sunot:

Joe

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I feel your pain. The stock BF's are garbage in the north. I went with them all last season and it was embarrassing getting around. I am close to putting on the Goodyear duratracs. Anyone with any advice???

This is 100% the oppisite of what the SVT engineers claim.

Spider-One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any issues with stock tires and I'm further north than all but maybe one or two members here on the board. So long as you accelerate and brake within reason and watch the road ahead keeping safe distance there aren't any issues. With that said I will eventually go with studding either the Duratracs or Cooper Discoverer S/T's as winter tires. As far as I know the Discoverer's don't have the snowflake so looks like there's only one option for you.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is 100% the oppisite of what the SVT engineers claim.

Think it all depends if it is slushy, ice, hard pack or powder.. Assuming they tested the Raptors in U.P. Michigan. Which has hard packed/powdery snow might explain why they are ***** in slushy/ice conditions.

-Greg