Vibration- can't eliminate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

Wassy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Maybe I'll try the aluminum rings. Can't imagine them making that much of a difference. But will try. Thank you.

OP
OP
W

Wassy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update- the wheels/tires have been rebalanced at least 4 additional times. Most recent using fingers. Vibration is no better, no worse. Nothing we do seems to make them smooth like oem ride. This vibration is at low and high speeds, almost seems a little (just a little) better at 50+. Might be my imagination but vibration is worse when cold start. The finger balance was on a brand new hunter 9700 road force. Machine installed day prior at ford dealership.

I'm at a loss here guys. And not very happy about it!

FP Forged

Justin Lundy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has to be an out of round wheel. They should remove the tire and measure the runout on the rim. I sell a ton of wheels and most are lug centric and don't have issues. Or another good example is Method. A ton of Raptor owners run them and they're all lug centric. It has to be an out of round wheel if they said tires are ok based on the road force. The road force machine can measure the run out on a bare rim. I say do that and if they find a bad wheel/wheels replace it and go from there.

Update- the wheels/tires have been rebalanced at least 4 additional times. Most recent using fingers. Vibration is no better, no worse. Nothing we do seems to make them smooth like oem ride. This vibration is at low and high speeds, almost seems a little (just a little) better at 50+. Might be my imagination but vibration is worse when cold start. The finger balance was on a brand new hunter 9700 road force. Machine installed day prior at ford dealership.

I'm at a loss here guys. And not very happy about it!

Have you had the shop try what I originally recommended?

OP
OP
W

Wassy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had the shop try what I originally recommended?

I have to imagine with the road force balancer, they measured runout. It's part of the process. I'm waiting for my dealer to respond to replacing wheels regardless. I can tell you that road force came in on all 4 wheels/tired at less than 15 lbs.

FP Forged

Justin Lundy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to imagine with the road force balancer, they measured runout. It's part of the process. I'm waiting for my dealer to respond to replacing wheels regardless. I can tell you that road force came in on all 4 wheels/tired at less than 15 lbs.

I would hope they have measured a raw wheel but it's a pain to dismount 4 tires and check each wheel just to remount/balance them. Also, when measuring the runout of a tire and wheel with a road force machine you really only get an accurate reading of the radial run out. Lateral runout could be the issue but without measuring the raw wheel you'll never get a true measurement. To me, it sounds like they've tried everything but this. Why not check the one thing they haven't? Or at least ask if they have...

OP
OP
W

Wassy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will ask and also have it done, time permitting. I will advise.

OP
OP
W

Wassy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HELP! horrible ride quality

Hey all-

I'm at wits end here. When we bought the raptor I put in fuel hostage II (I think) and Toyo's new R/T. 20" all around. A bit lower offset so tired stick out a tad. Looks great. From day 1, drive was horrible. Not smooth, bumpy and steering wheel was wobbly and shakes. Had balanced no less then 10 times at multiple places. Replaced tires, wasn't happy and went back to the RT's which were the best of the 2 evils. We loved with it. Now we have about 4000 miles on the setup. No other alterations to suspension. Last 2 weeks the truck feels like I'm driving in studs or over a bed of egg rocks. Also feels a little like wheels are loose, at least to my mind. Local ford Dealer doesn't even want to balance again as they are aftermarket and takes way too long to get it right if at all. Foreman drove with me, agreed it's worse than usual but all aftermarket wheels and tires will exhibit this. I disagree. I didn't go MT because we never off-road and wanted a smoother ride. Willing to give up some but this is just crazy. Fuel had replaced all 4 wheels about 2 months ago. Was a little better. Then they replaced 2 more because we couldn't balance out. I know none of these are lug centric, we do use the insert and they have been finger balanced.

Does anybody have any real suggestions as to what could be going on here or is this truly the ride I'm going to get as they say? I'm at a complete loss here. I will spend a bit of money getting it right but not gonna throw it away blindly. I thought I had done my research. Reviews on wheels and tires are great. I find it hard to believe that I've had that many repeated bad or out of round items.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated folks. Much appreciation!

D

Deleted member 12951

Just for curiosity sakes. What happens if you put the stock wheels and tires back on (just as a test), does all the issues go away? Was wanting to eliminate that your aftermarket wheels and tires are actually your entire issue, it might not be.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of all the balancing, has anyone "road force balanced" them? All tires and rims are out of round a bit and balancing in this way matches them up a bit. The road force balancing pin points where the best place is to move the tire on the rim to match them up in the best way possible. The tire has to be moved on the rim to match and then rebalance with weights. This quite often fixes and greatly minimizes vibrations, shaking, etc. With any aftermarket wheel package that is as large as 20" like yours OR say a 17" inch wheel with a 37 inch tire, this needs to be part of the balancing right from the start, if it isn't done, then you will more than likely experience issues like yours.