Vibration- can't eliminate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wassy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all - installed Fuel Hostage 20x0 rims and new Toyo R/T 35x12.5x20. had both a vibration at lower and higher speeds as well as a loose on center feel. dropped pressure to 40psi and the on center is better but vibration still there. gets rather choppy. switched tires to New Nitto Terra Grappler G2, and it was worse. Feels like we are rolling over a bed of identical rocks. Switched back to the R/T's and although a little better, same issue.

Did some research and only thing I can find is that wheel is lug centric, not hub centric. We are using the hub centric rings of course and not improvement. Dealer offered to swap wheels (they are fantastic with customer service) but before I do that, does anyone have any solution or idea other than ceramic beads (don't want the noise)....

I've had wheels/tires balanced 5 times, both at original wheel dealer and Ford Dealership and on Hunter Road Force. Ford shows the wheel dealers balance to be off by nearly 4 ounces and vice versa, however, truck drives and vibrates same either way, which makes me suspect the wheels. When Ford balanced last week, we all watched inside of wheel spinning and where the spokes meet the outer rim, it rotates oblong like. Balance should take care of this, but it's not.

I'm at a loss and it was hard enough for us to find wheels we liked on the truck and hate to do it again. Any suggestions and do other Hostage owners or other fuel wheels have this issue?

thanks in advance for your help.

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have them break the bead and rotate the tire 180 degrees then rebalance. If it takes less weight then remount on truck and test drive. Honestly it sounds like a bad tire with that much weight on a 35.
When I ran Toyos on the jeep I used more than .5- .75 ounce per tire.

FP Forged

Justin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When they did the road force balance did they measure the rim runout? If two sets of tires didn't fix it I'm guessing it's the wheels.

Master Yoda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wassy,

Try progressive tightening of your wheel lug nuts. Do the star pattern, like you normally would, torque all 6 at 50 ft/lbs, then 75, then 100, 125 and finally 150 ft/lbs. Same pattern, over and over till at 150. It takes a bit longer, but it all but eliminated my vibration with Method Standards with stock BFG's and now Nitto EXO Grapplers. Get the wheel/tire completely off the ground and use the parking brake (rear) and a block or chock for the front tires, so they don't move on you.

OP
OP
W

Wassy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the replies guys. We've tried the progressive torquing. I'm almost tempted to try the ceramic beads for $10 but I don't want to deal with the noise. Lol

Dealer offered to swap out for new rims. Now the hard part is finding hubcentric ones that we like

Chayse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happens if you spins the wheels by themselves on the balancer? Can you see a wobble? usually a road force balance will correct the issue, but not if the wheels are too out of round.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its likely because they are lug centric and not hub centric. I fought this for over a year on another truck and the only solution was to have my wheels fitted with hub rings. The wheels were Weld Racing forged wheels and they were not cheap.

I will never run lug centric wheels again as the tolerances just don't always stack up.

OP
OP
W

Wassy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the rings on them they came with the Fuel wheels. I was hoping they didn't use them but they did. I also wonder if the lugs are conical or I'd they used the oem lugs (which may be conicsl. They look new. I think they are pro comps.

Wheels were balanced with road force as well. When we watch the spin, the tires are spinning flat. It's the inside of rim that has a wobble.

FP Forged

Justin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the rings on them they came with the Fuel wheels. I was hoping they didn't use them but they did. I also wonder if the lugs are conical or I'd they used the oem lugs (which may be conicsl. They look new. I think they are pro comps.

Wheels were balanced with road force as well. When we watch the spin, the tires are spinning flat. It's the inside of rim that has a wobble.

It has to be an out of round wheel. They should remove the tire and measure the runout on the rim. I sell a ton of wheels and most are lug centric and don't have issues. Or another good example is Method. A ton of Raptor owners run them and they're all lug centric. It has to be an out of round wheel if they said tires are ok based on the road force. The road force machine can measure the run out on a bare rim. I say do that and if they find a bad wheel/wheels replace them and go from there.