TPMS and tire rotation questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From everything I have read, even though I have a full size spare with the same beadlock capable rim it has no TPM sensor in it. So I have a couple of questions about rotating tires with the spare.

1. I am getting a second spare so it should make the rotation easier. Is there any problem with equipping both spares with TPM sensors?

2 using the spares for rotation the sequence would go like this from what I understand.
A. Front tires - need to mark for correct rotation on to the rear after becoming spares

B. Rear tires would move strait up to the from tires.

C. The Spare tires would move to their respective sides of the rear tires.

3. After rotation I would have to go through the TPMS reset procedure to learn the 4tires that are on the truck. Will the system get confused from the spares having sensors but not being on the truck?

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, here is the skinny...
The TPMS work only when the tire rotates. So when you add the TPMS to the spare tire it is only read by the computer when rotating on the truck. Ever notice that it takes a few miles for the low tire light to go out one you've aired up when leaving the beach?

The truck will automatically learn the spare TPMS. If it doesn't, then you only need to go through the learning sequence once. After that it will know it.

As for rotation, the stock BFGs are not rotation sensitive, therefore I don't see any reason to keep track of which tire rotated which direction.

I purchased the TPMS for the spare tire from Amazon. It was about $37. When the truck was into the dealer for some work I had them install the TPMS and rotate the tires.

Rotating them about every 5 -7 K miles, I've gotten about 48,000 miles out of them. I'll run them till mid December when I need the new set on for snoball prerun.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

69Mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd think (haven't tried it myself) that as long as you kept the, now new, spares far enough away from the truck during the retraining of the system you would be fine.

I use to swap all four out on the Mustang for winter. The opposite side of a 2 car garage was far enough away to not interfere with the retraining.. though I never tried it with them any closer.

OP
OP
OrangeAddict

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, here is the skinny...
The TPMS work only when the tire rotates. So when you add the TPMS to the spare tire it is only read by the computer when rotating on the truck. Ever notice that it takes a few miles for the low tire light to go out one you've aired up when leaving the beach?

The truck will automatically learn the spare TPMS. If it doesn't, then you only need to go through the learning sequence once. After that it will know it.

As for rotation, the stock BFGs are not rotation sensitive, therefore I don't see any reason to keep track of which tire rotated which direction.

I purchased the TPMS for the spare tire from Amazon. It was about $37. When the truck was into the dealer for some work I had them install the TPMS and rotate the tires.

Rotating them about every 5 -7 K miles, I've gotten about 48,000 miles out of them. I'll run them till mid December when I need the new set on for snoball prerun.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Thanks man. I remember something about the rotational portion of this. Must be part of the reason that the reset procedure has you drive at 20mph for 2+ minutes.

So you do not have to perform the reset procedure after every rotation?

There is a reason to track the sides. It has nothing to do with the tire being directional. It is to provide even wear to the tires. See here is a pic of a normal 4x4 rotation pattern with non directional tires.

th?id=H.4785277646210763&pid=15.jpg

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^ Looking at the left side of the pic, I would put the front driver tire under the bed (New spare) and kick the spare out to the rear passenger side.

I have never needed to relearn the TPMS. even when I put on the new to me wheels and tires I got from McManus.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

OP
OP
OrangeAddict

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a better illustration of what I plan on doing. :)
So will the system learn 6 TPMS sensors?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-07 at 2.20.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-07 at 2.20.35 PM.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am about to buy more TPMS for my winter rims what is the proses to learn the new sensors to the truck? I thought I read it somewhere on here but can't find it now, so if someone could post it or point me to it.

As for rotation I think the idea of rotating in 2 spares make great sense.

OP
OP
OrangeAddict

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The reset/learning procedure is in your owners manual. There is a secret handshake you have to do with the keys and stuff. I cannot remember all the steps.