Toyo Open Country R/T Tire Review for Race-Dezert

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake Y.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I haven't been around as much lately but I wanted to share this article that was recently released. I got a chance to test a set of the new R/Ts for RDC and I really love them.

Full Article Here

toyo-raptor-4293.jpg

Tire Review: Toyo Open Country R/T

Toyo is one of the most well established tire companies in Off-Road so it is relatively rare and always exciting to see an entirely new design launched. The Open Country R/T is particularly interesting because it occupies a whole new niche in the Toyo lineup.

The R/T falls between the tried and true Off-Road standout Open Country M/T and the quieter and plusher Open Country ATII. Claiming to offer the best of both worlds in terms of Off-Road traction and daily drivability they appeal directly to those like me who want to have their cake and eat it too.

The tires found a home on my mostly-stock Ford Raptor, a perfect candidate. My truck sees a 70/30 ratio of pavement to dirt and it gets used to tow UTVs all over the place, take weekend trips to the desert and perform pit vehicle duties at races. When I can take the trailer hitch off, clear out the bed and really get out into the dirt and get after it the truck gets to stretch its (stubby, mid-travel) legs.

I had the tires mounted and balanced at Conover Tire in Oceanside, CA and threw them on the truck inflated to 40psi. I was coming from another brand’s 37” AT tire and I had mentally prepared myself a harsher ride out of the considerably more aggressive looking Open Country R/Ts. I found myself pleasantly surprised; road noise was actually less with the Toyo’s (virtually nonexistent) and the ride felt planted and comfortable. Another thing worth noting is that the Toyo’s balanced perfectly on the first try, an intense relief to me because the tires they replaced were an absolute nightmare to balance the vibrations out of.

I have driven over 5,000 miles on the pavement, 1000+ of which with trailer in tow, since installing the Open Country’s and the tires are still riding smooth and quiet. I really can’t say enough about the on road manners of this set-up! We don’t get a lot of rain in SoCal but I did get a couple of chances to try them out on wet roads. They never broke loose under normal driving, though anything spirited would break traction pretty quickly. The transition to sliding was predictable however, easy to hold it sideways (at least to the extent possible with all the electronic nannys).

You wouldn’t be reading this if on-road manners were the most important thing to you, let’s get into the important stuff, the off-road test! After coming home from a long day of work I got the “let’s go to the desert!” text, you know the one, it usually comes 15 minutes before the scheduled departure with an itinerary as clear as mud but with all the promise of a weekend to remember. Reminding myself I had some tires to test I loaded up the bare essentials and headed off to Ocotillo at 8pm on a Friday.

Being something of a piggy-backer on this trip I had just assumed somebody had a camp site figured out. Happy to be in the dirt for the first time in weeks I was paying attention to the feel of the tires, as I followed the lights ahead of me up to a fire pit with absolutely no idea how we’d gotten there. I dumped my gear with everyone else’s at our camp and we headed out into the nearby desert. The Open Country R/Ts finally got their chance to sling some dirt and they did not disappoint. I climbed all around the smooth hills of the desert surrounding us in 2wd, slipping at times but never failing. The tires worked very well for off camber hills and the like, however when traction would start to go it was hard to get them to bite again.

The R/Ts feel most at home sideways through the flat corners, sliding predictably and only a flick of the wrist from grabbing and launching out of the exits of turns. We worked our way through rocky washes and even found some soft-silt like sand to play around in. I was very happy with how the tires were performing and even happier to not have damaged them the couple of times I pushed off the trail into the bushes or missed sharp rocks in the riverbed. It was around this time that we circled the trucks and decided to head back to camp, at least in the general direction of camp.

I like to think of the long search for the camp that followed as learning a lesson the hard way. We broke into teams and broke the land into small chunks to make searching easier, but alas it was not to be until morning light. I could not have imagined a better puncture-resistance test for the Toyo’s however. Six hours of lumbering around through the dark, drawing straight lines across almost exclusively uncleared land, It felt like asking for a flat. Eventually morning came, we found the camp and my Open Country R/Ts delivered me back to civilization in quiet comfort.

At the end of the day these tires delivered on their promise of great off-road performance without sacrificing daily drivability. They didn’t have any noticeable compromises over my old ATs in the noise, handling or gas mileage departments and they still had grip in situations where an AT would have floundered in the desert. Also worth noting is that the sidewall is different on either side of the tire, giving the end user even more control how their ride looks. If you are looking for a do everything tire for an off-road rig that still needs to maintain a modicum of civility, the Open Country R/T should be near the top of your list.

toyo-raptor-4246.jpg

toyo-raptor-21.jpg

toyo-raptor-1.jpg

Last edited:

FP Forged

Justin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I haven't been around as much lately but I wanted to share this article that was recently released. I got a chance to test a set of the new R/Ts for RDC and I really love them.

Full Article Here

Tire Review: Toyo Open Country R/T

They never broke loose under normal driving, though anything spirited would break traction pretty quickly.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

They were great except for on road under hard acceleration. Especially if it rained you had to be very careful with braking. I'm pretty sure it's cause they use a hard enough compound to warrant 45k miles. Can't have sticky and longevity. All that aside I think they were quieter than my new KO2's while looking more aggressive.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Jake Y. Thanks for the article, nice job!

I actually have a side question...I'm in the process of getting 37's. I noticed in the top picture that you have grey coil springs, meaning you either have the Gieser Bros progressive springs or you have 3.0's. Since you said that your truck was mostly stock, I am guessing that you have the Gieser bros springs. I too have the Gieser Bros springs. My question is...do you have the the springs at bottom or mid perch? As Im sure you know if you have them, on these springs bottom perch=stock springs mid perch and mid perch on these=close to top perch height on stock springs.

I currently have the springs at bottom (stock mid perch height) and Im hoping that I can leave the springs there. Just wondering where your truck is at and how your liking it.

Thanks for any feedback, I know its off topic, but thanks for any guidance!

OP
OP
Jake Y.

Jake Y.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What 37" AT's did you have?

I had the Falken Wildpeaks before, and they were good tires except for the 4 trips to tire shops trying to get them balanced.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

They were great except for on road under hard acceleration. Especially if it rained you had to be very careful with braking. I'm pretty sure it's cause they use a hard enough compound to warrant 45k miles. Can't have sticky and longevity. All that aside I think they were quieter than my new KO2's while looking more aggressive.

Haha you are right, I've gotten some rain time in since writing the article. It works for me because absolutely love drifting around on wet roads even though it's unsafe and immature. Would love to try out some KO2s!

@Jake Y. Thanks for the article, nice job!

I actually have a side question...I'm in the process of getting 37's. I noticed in the top picture that you have grey coil springs, meaning you either have the Gieser Bros progressive springs or you have 3.0's. Since you said that your truck was mostly stock, I am guessing that you have the Gieser bros springs. I too have the Gieser Bros springs. My question is...do you have the the springs at bottom or mid perch? As Im sure you know if you have them, on these springs bottom perch=stock springs mid perch and mid perch on these=close to top perch height on stock springs.

I currently have the springs at bottom (stock mid perch height) and Im hoping that I can leave the springs there. Just wondering where your truck is at and how your liking it.

Thanks for any feedback, I know its off topic, but thanks for any guidance!

Thanks for the kind words Yep I have the Geiser springs, my truck is on mid perch though which puts me at (*gasp*) top perch height like you said. I was a little worried but no problems so far, knock on wood. I have managed to get them to rub a few times on the street and definitely offroad but pretty minimal. The only sign that any contact occured is the very corner of the stock front bumper got bent because I didn't trim it. I don't stuff the tires hard enough in this truck to worry about it but if i had the free time I'd trim the flares on the inner edge so I could bottom out worry free.

I would guess you'd be fine on mid perch if you were willing to do the trimming in the bfg37" thread but it will be tight. It really depends on your usage, do you offroad a lot? do you bottom the front end often now?

Last edited:

SVT_Mayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good review. I'm going back and forth on Falkens and these. Definitely going to take this review into account when I pull the trigger.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Jake Y. for the info and the rundown. I don't off-road like crazy, but I like to mess around every once in a while. I guess like anything, there is a little trade off to everything you do. If I can ask you a few more questions...how do you like the ride of the Gieser Bros springs at mid perch? Did you have the stock springs at mid perch...how would you compare the rides? And do you know how much (if any) taller these springs at mid make the truck sit compared to stock springs mid?

I realize I'm off topic and you might not have all the answers to all my questions, but I just had to ask. Thanks again for humoring my questions.