Toyo open country m/t 35/12.5/17 impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I recently purchased a set of 4 toyo open country m/t for $1250 mounted and balanced. I thought it was a great deal for new tires. The first thing I noticed about the tires is the aggressive look. They look even better after a bit of tire shine or mud. As for on road manners the increase in road noise is noticeable but not annoying. In wet or icy conditions I would say there is a bit more slide to them around corners. When coming to or rolling from a stop you do feel a vibration from the larger lugs of the tires, but I have not noticed a vibration increase at speed. I think they ride very well on the highway for a mud terrain tire.

As for off road manners I live on the back side of a large military base. When I am late for work I haul the mail down the fire breaks and skirt the boundaries of impact zones to make up time. The fire breaks are minimally maintained, hard packed with lots of large pot holes mostly In the fast sweeping corners. There are also lots of acceleration and breaking bumps from inferior trucks, cars and jeeps traveling the roads occasionally. I usually travel between 40 and 80 mph through the fire breaks with the 4x4 engaged, the diff. unlocked and traction control in sport mode. I don't feel as the tires feel as planted as the stock tires. They seem to float and slide a bit more than the BF goodrich did. That being said it is not a uncontrollable slide. I actually feel that I have a bit more control in the drift or slide. You just gotta be ready for more of a drift across the lane. They don't feel any heavier or softer but when going through the corners the tires seem to bounce off the potholes more than the stockers. I am running stock fox shocks. Thats what I think is what is causing more of a drift. In 2wd under hard acceleration in a straightaway I got a bit of a rear end tail wag. I never had that with the stock tires, but again not uncontrollable. I usually lock out 4th gear up so I can spin the tires out of the corners and get sideways. I have not noticed any chunking yet!

I plan on doing some mudding very soon and I will report back.

I hope this helps some of you make a tire buying decision. I was looking for a review like this when I was buying my tires. I will up date the wear and any changes in performance of the tires over the lifetime of the tires. I changed my tires almost exactly at 40000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hole Shot

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They gotta catch me first !!! I'd love to see what would happen to one of their Chevy Malibu's if they tried to chase me. I have been pulled after exiting one of my fav. Fire breaks. Asked where and what I was doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
which one is yours holeshot? trying to decide if i've seen your truck around

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
I'm about to be running the 315/70r18 toyos. They are actually a 36x13x18 so they will fill the wheel arch gaps much better

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best tires money can buy in my opinion, considering appearance, performance, noise, ect.

Haven't decided if I will be running these on my Raptor just becuase I think the 37"s are too heavy.

I am on my second set on my lifted Chevy. First set I got 55K miles out of my 35x12.50x20 Toyos M/T.

As with all mud terrains, be sure to rotate and balance to extend tire life. 35x20" tires are more sensitive so I rotate them every 3k miles and balance every 6k miles. Not sure how the 35"x17" hold up but a good rotate and balance schedule wouldn't hurt.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
hopefully they don't hit us up with a grf recall, we got woken up at 0200 this morning, rumor mill is it's happening again this weekend, i'd like to be able go to bb without have to speed home.