Toyo M/T vs. Nitto Trail Grappler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've had the Toyos for ~35,000 miles and it's time to replace them. Wet traction is ******. Looking at either another set of Toyos or Trail Grapplers.

Toyo M/T - 33x12.50x20
Nitto - 305/55/20

Loved how quiet the Toyos were and the long life. Looking for the same things out of the Nittos. The Nittos are a tad cheaper and I believe they weigh less.

Looking for people who have had one or the other or both. Also, anyone have the weight numbers for a Nitto vs. Toyo? Thanks.

Double Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Nitto Trail Grapplers on my F250 and they would get loose on wet pavement pretty easily as well. Honestly that just comes with the territory when you're running a tire with an aggressive off-road tread pattern.

Have you considered the Cooper Discoverer STT? I had them on my FJ Cruiser and loved them. Great on-road manners, excellent in dirt, mud and snow. Not so much on ice, but tolerable. Did fine on wet pavement as well.

Drove that FJ across country from Nashville to Sedona, to Moab, to Ouray (CO) and back. Encountered literally every type of weather and terrain you can ask for in between and those tires did great.

Tread life was respectable.

linexsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had 2 sets of toyos on the excursion and went with trail grapplers this time. i LOVED my toyos. these trail grapplers have been good once they got broken in. when i first put them on i was being pulled ALL over the road. it took 2 trips to the beach to finally get them going. They were alot cheaper than the toyos, and i dont regret them at all!

OP
OP
Nick@Apollo-Optics

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information guys! I've decided to go with the Trail Grapplers. The guy at Discount Tire is giving them to me at cost and I can't pass it up. The Nittos end up being about $300 cheaper than the Toyos when it's all said and done. They're also about 10lbs. lighter than the Toyos so the decrease in unsprung weight will help with power/mpg/etc.

They may be made by the same folks with the same rubber compound for all I know, but the tread pattern is considerably different.

You're 100% correct. And I talked to the guy at Discount and he said that it is a softer compound which is good for a smoother ride. I was actually considering them, but it turns out that they are they exact same price as the Toyos and I wanna go with the cheaper option here since I'm only going to have these tires for another ~20 months before I upgrade to the Raptor.