Tire Weights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Gotcha,

I wasn't asking about why they run em, I know why. It's cause they work. We run them, they aren't cheap, but they work. BFG does not give out a lot of desert race support, yet everyone runs their tires.

Again, they are a unitasker though. Suck in the rain, suck in the mud, suck on grooved pavment, probably suck in the snow, but if you want to go fast in dirt and over rocks, these are your tires.

I think you mistook my response as a put down for the Bajas - I am not - still planning on getting a set as soon as I can find some that are reasonably priced. Until you mentioned it - I hadn't registered that BFG is using Kevlar now too.

I sat at a campfire in Saline Valley with a BFG rep a few years ago that responded to Goodyears MTR with Kevlar that had just been released as " just marketing" - and it somehow stuck with me. Never saw anything about BGF using Kevlar - only saw a web snippet saying that Goodyear has Dupont Kevlar exclusivity for tires - but then that might be outdated.

As to your question on why 75% of the Trophy Truck field is running BFG - I don't have any insight on that - but I'll be happy to try...maybe because non of the other main tire brands find Trophy Truck racing important enough and Michelin is pumping all of BFG's advertising budget into a not highly contested national racing series that is closest to their core target market and heavily support the majority of racing teams?

I totally agree with you on not wanting to run a 20lbs heavier tire - I think I made my point of view clear in my previous posts...

Looking forward finding out what you projects weigh in at!

I have and I am continuing to look into all different tire options...certainly will get to drive some soon!

rubberdust

Reaction score
I think you mistook my response as a put down for the Bajas - I am not - still planning on getting a set as soon as I can find some that are reasonably priced. Until you mentioned it - I hadn't registered that BFG is using Kevlar now too.

I sat at a campfire in Saline Valley with a BFG rep a few years ago that responded to Goodyears MTR with Kevlar that had just been released as " just marketing" - and it somehow stuck with me. Never saw anything about BGF using Kevlar - only saw a web snippet saying that Goodyear has Dupont Kevlar exclusivity for tires - but then that might be outdated.

As to your question on why 75% of the Trophy Truck field is running BFG - I don't have any insight on that - but I'll be happy to try...maybe because non of the other main tire brands find Trophy Truck racing important enough and Michelin is pumping all of BFG's advertising budget into a not highly contested national racing series that is closest to their core target market and heavily support the majority of racing teams?

I totally agree with you on not wanting to run a 20lbs heavier tire - I think I made my point of view clear in my previous posts...

Looking forward finding out what you projects weigh in at!

I have and I am continuing to look into all different tire options...certainly will get to drive some soon!

The BFG Baja KR "projects" aren't using "Kevlar" in their construction, neither is the Baja KR2.
You'll actually see a bit more than 75% of the Trophy Trucks racing in SCORE on Baja KR, Baja KRT or Baja KR2, there are a couple teams with that are sponsored the rest are all buying tires.
BFG has been supporting desert racing since 1977 non stop hardly a new marketing effort. The only other company that has been involved close to that long is Yokohama. Unlike most of the rest of the motorsports that compete on a spec tire desert racing is contested by a number of tire brands running head to head. Currently Maxxis, General, Yokohama, Toyo, Radar & BFG have active competition programs.
Check out the tires on the factory Ford effort with the new F-150 that ran at the Baja 1000 last November. They seemed awfully happy with those, with any luck we'll see those available sometime this year.

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The BFG Baja KR "projects" aren't using "Kevlar" in their construction, neither is the Baja KR2.
You'll actually see a bit more than 75% of the Trophy Trucks racing in SCORE on Baja KR, Baja KRT or Baja KR2, there are a couple teams with that are sponsored the rest are all buying tires.
BFG has been supporting desert racing since 1977 non stop hardly a new marketing effort. The only other company that has been involved close to that long is Yokohama. Unlike most of the rest of the motorsports that compete on a spec tire desert racing is contested by a number of tire brands running head to head. Currently Maxxis, General, Yokohama, Toyo, Radar & BFG have active competition programs.
Check out the tires on the factory Ford effort with the new F-150 that ran at the Baja 1000 last November. They seemed awfully happy with those, with any luck we'll see those available sometime this year.

I actually can't wait for the KO2s to come out! They look awesome and planning to get a set the moment they come out!

Thanks so much for the overview on desert racing! I am completely clueless in these kind of pro racing classes. I grew up in Europe - and next to a racetrack without any dirt involved and remember some fun epic battles between the different big name tire manufacturers in F1 spending crazy insane amounts of $$$ and maybe drew some wrong conclusions about how competitive desert racing in terms of tires actually is!

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

Gotcha,

I wasn't asking about why they run em, I know why. It's cause they work. We run them, they aren't cheap, but they work. BFG does not give out a lot of desert race support, yet everyone runs their tires.

Again, they are a unitasker though. Suck in the rain, suck in the mud, suck on grooved pavment, probably suck in the snow, but if you want to go fast in dirt and over rocks, these are your tires.

I am the type of person that always has unitaskers. Bajas have been on my want to try for years, unfortunately my previous off roader couldn't go any smaller that 18" rims due to the brake size...

I was originally planning on going with a beater set of Baja KRs, but when I saw this thread and the 55lbs mentioning I was all gung ho getting a set of regular DOTs for daily driving too. There is enough misinformation out on the web - and with the first post's BAJA winner announcement I thought it should be cleared up.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

My tires are lighter than your tires debacle again...

:rolleyes: where?

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
The race version of this tire definitely has Kevlar sidewalls.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

You can see the Kevlar in this tire.

tire.jpg

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The race version of this tire definitely has Kevlar sidewalls.

You can see the Kevlar in this tire.

Maybe they don't have "Kevlar" but something along the lines of Kevlar and just can't use the brand name.

dkfc13

HPA Systems LLC.
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the tires with the ribbed sidewalls are Kevlar and are race only tires (non DOT) now exclusively distributed by Jackson Motorsports (see my earlier post). The attached pic has a "Project Like Tread" but is not a project tire and has steel belts and is DOT approved.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 678

Jarrett H

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the tires with the ribbed sidewalls are Kevlar and are race only tires (non DOT) now exclusively distributed by Jackson Motorsports (see my earlier post). The attached pic has a "Project Like Tread" but is not a project tire and has steel belts and is DOT approved.

Raptizzle has DOTs with ribs.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 37x12.50r17 - 76.4lbs a piece.

Just bought and mounted these today. Badass tire so far. Mounted and inflated on my Method Standards they came in around 105.2lbs a piece.

FP Forged

Justin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone got the falken wildpeak info for 325/70/R17 and also for their 37/12.5/R17?

Here you are. If anybody has any other tire weight questions I can try to help. My company has shipped a lot of tires so I have a pretty extensive data base that is accurate within a pound or two

wtdhzn.jpg
ve9089.jpg