Tire Size Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been looking for information on upgrading my tire size. I was running 35x12.50R20 on aftermarket fuel wheels link here> http://www.fueloffroad.com/anza-d558-w-12092.htm

I am not sure which wheel size it is exactly and am not sure where to find it since they were on the truck when purchased. I am a few thousand miles away from new tires but am starting to look. It seems 37x13.50 R 20 is a more popular size to find. I was doing just fine on my 35x12.50 with no issues. I then went mid perch and now think I should go up a tire size.

Is 35x12.50 to 37x13.50 too large of a jump using the same wheels?

Sorry I am tire illiterate when it comes to offroad. :crazy:

Fixed to read 35x12.50

Last edited:

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on the wheels set range of applicable widths, 2 of those tire sizes work with the raptors 6x135 bolt pattern. Both 20x9 and 20x10, standard raptor wheel is 17x8.5 wide.

Let's use the Toyo MT as an example, their 37x13.50 tire will work with anything in the accepted range of 8.5 to 11 but closer to 11 than 8.5 would be more ideal.
8451883a52071d3c503efbae266eaf66.jpg

If you can figure out if yours is 20x9 or 20x10 that'll help you out although many 37's will run on either. Check the specific tire specifications before diving in head first.

Now onto the other side of things, even running a mid perch set up the tire when compressed can hit the wheel well and do some pretty great damage. I haven't done this and I can't speak for who has but some people bend the pinch welds on the front. That's for somebody else to answer as I dunno what they're doing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Raptized

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on the wheels set range of applicable widths, 2 of those tire sizes work with the raptors 6x135 bolt pattern. Both 20x9 and 20x10, standard raptor wheel is 17x8.5 wide.

Let's use the Toyo MT as an example, their 37x13.50 tire will work with anything in the accepted range of 8.5 to 11 but closer to 11 than 8.5 would be more ideal.
8451883a52071d3c503efbae266eaf66.jpg

If you can figure out if yours is 20x9 or 20x10 that'll help you out although many 37's will run on either. Check the specific tire specifications before diving in head first.

Now onto the other side of things, even running a mid perch set up the tire when compressed can hit the wheel well and do some pretty great damage. I haven't done this and I can't speak for who has but some people bend the pinch welds on the front. That's for somebody else to answer as I dunno what they're doing.

Thanks! SO how would I go about finding the model number for the wheels? The tires I have now are Toyo Open Country so that may lead to some clues.

I won't lie, I baby my truck. Today was the first mud it has seen and I have owned it for 9 months. I won't be jumping dunes or breaking sound barriers any time soon, just an occasional light to moderate trail through woods to hunting spots. I assume the 37 tires would be ok for cruising and mall crawling?

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! SO how would I go about finding the model number for the wheels? The tires I have now are Toyo Open Country so that may lead to some clues.

I won't lie, I baby my truck. Today was the first mud it has seen and I have owned it for 9 months. I won't be jumping dunes or breaking sound barriers any time soon, just an occasional light to moderate trail through woods to hunting spots. I assume the 37 tires would be ok for cruising and mall crawling?
Yes they should be ok unless ofcourse you flex out a bunch or hit something hard and fast. As for model numbers I don't exactly know I think just go by the size, that's what I always do is just go up to the tire store and tell them the size. There's only one that's running 37 13.50 20 so you should be good!

Post pics if you get em I've been looking to upgrade to 37's

HORN HIGH ACES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been looking for information on upgrading my tire size. I was running 36x12.50R20 on aftermarket fuel wheels link here> http://www.fueloffroad.com/anza-d558-w-12092.htm

I am not sure which wheel size it is exactly and am not sure where to find it since they were on the truck when purchased. I am a few thousand miles away from new tires but am starting to look. It seems 37x13.50 R 20 is a more popular size to find. I was doing just fine on my 36x12.50 with no issues. I then went mid perch and now think I should go up a tire size.

Is 36x12.50 to 37x13.50 too large of a jump using the same wheels?

Sorry I am tire illiterate when it comes to offroad. :crazy:

What tire are you currently that's 36x12.50?

OP
OP
Raptized

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the 13.50 will fit my wheels. But unsure about the 37 part. Is that 2 inches more then the 35s? It stinks I don't know what suspension mods are on my truck. It looks stock but idk. It for sure has stock shocks but the 35s fit with no rubbing before my mid perch. I am also assuming 37s would be a smoother ride due to more rubber?

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the 13.50 will fit my wheels. But unsure about the 37 part. Is that 2 inches more then the 35s? It stinks I don't know what suspension mods are on my truck. It looks stock but idk. It for sure has stock shocks but the 35s fit with no rubbing before my mid perch. I am also assuming 37s would be a smoother ride due to more rubber?
You'd gain a 1 inch height increase with 37's.

And I'd be worried about the 13.5 wide. Go and try to fit your hand between the tire and the upper control arm on the front tires, pretty tight gap

OP
OP
Raptized

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd gain a 1 inch height increase with 37's.

And I'd be worried about the 13.5 wide. Go and try to fit your hand between the tire and the upper control arm on the front tires, pretty tight gap

Here's a pic of my clearance. Would going to 13.5 add half inch each side? How close would be too close? Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-08-11-17-07-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-08-11-17-07-17.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 68