tire pressure for non-oem tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just swapped my tires from the oem BFG TA KO's. I am wondering if I should run the recommended 44 psi on the road? I'm running 45 psi now and the tires look a little flat still. Max cold tire pressure is 50 psi on my D rated tires. I am thinking about bumping it up to 48 psi.

gDMJoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ROT (Rule Of Thumb) for PSI if unknown is 80% of the maximum pressure on the sidewall of the tires and monitor tread wear. *Could also chalk the tread and observe where it scrubs-off the most and adjust accordingly.

OP
OP
Humvee21

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What's the recommended for the tire? I know our recommendation is 44 on the truck but what's the stock tire recommendation? Maybe find that difference and then deduct that from your new tire recommended.

The tire doesn't state a recommended pressure, just 50 psi at max. But I did bump up the front to 48 psi and left the rear at 44 psi. The rear is perfect since it is lighter than the front and now the front at 48 the ride is much smoother than with my OEM BFG's.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
what tires did you go with? that makes a difference cause one tires sidewalls are stiffer than others so even though they have the same psi one might look like its lower if the sidewall is softer if that makes sense lol i have the falken wildpeaks and i run mine at 43psi max on those are 52 psi but i like my tiresa little soft they soak up the little road bumps better!

OP
OP
Humvee21

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
what tires did you go with? that makes a difference cause one tires sidewalls are stiffer than others so even though they have the same psi one might look like its lower if the sidewall is softer if that makes sense lol i have the falken wildpeaks and i run mine at 43psi max on those are 52 psi but i like my tiresa little soft they soak up the little road bumps better!

Hankook Dynapro ATM. It's a 3 ply sidewall with 7 ply tread but D rated. I checked my original BFG's and it's 3 ply sidewall with 6 ply tread also D rated. It seems like upping the pressure to 48 psi has helped with the ride. I almost can no longer feel certain expansion joints in the road that I felt at 45 psi and also on the BFG's.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hankook Dynapro ATM. It's a 3 ply sidewall with 7 ply tread but D rated. I checked my original BFG's and it's 3 ply sidewall with 6 ply tread also D rated. It seems like upping the pressure to 48 psi has helped with the ride. I almost can no longer feel certain expansion joints in the road that I felt at 45 psi and also on the BFG's.

Oh ok well that works then lol usually the less psi the softer the tire it's weird that you out a higher pay and it got softer but as long as you're happy with it