Tire Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man, I don't know about you guys but I can't stand running my mt/r's at 44 psi. Way too hard (although at my age, I'm beginning to appreciate something that can stay hard). Low 30's is perfect for me. YMMV.

"At my age," says the man, and he is ONLY 44.
Give it another 13 years, sonny boy!

Oh, there was something about tire pressure. I run 44 psi as per the manual and the door sticker and am getting even tire wear across the tread running unloaded virtually all the time.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"At my age," says the man, and he is ONLY 44.
Give it another 13 years, sonny boy!

Oh, there was something about tire pressure. I run 44 psi as per the manual and the door sticker and am getting even tire wear across the tread running unloaded virtually all the time.

Ha ha ha... Sure makes me glad in not young!!! ha ha ha

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Ok---I will be nice but to the OP be wary of well meaning people who are not knowledgeable about tires. It can damage your vehicle due to a catastrophic failure or get someone killed in an accident. Once you depart from the standard tire size and load rating that came with the vehicle what is on the door means squat.

In short running lower air pressures and this is dynamic and is directly proportionate to the load rating of the tire for example 5psi lower operating pressure on a E rated tire is a lot different than 5 psi on a C range tire all conditions being equal. There are way too many variable here but in short the bottom line is this. By running less than the psi cold on the sidewall you are not necessarily doing anything wrong. Where you get into problems is by running lower (How Much Is The Question) pressure for ride comfort then the carcass which bears the load is flexed differently than when the tire is properly inflated. We are not talking about off roading lol but on the pavement. As the tire heat cycles and degrades over time then there is a much higher probability that you will experience a catastrophic failure of the tire.

Also as a side note tire AP is directly related to your mpg’s.

Nobody is debating the importance of properly inflated tires but for the sake of discussion on the topic of our Raptors - generally speaking, most of the tires available for our trucks(that will fit) are very close in size and load rating. With that being said, the 44psi the truck is asking for is going to be a great place to start. If you drastically change rim size, tire size or load rating its always important to dial in your new operating pressure. Its not hard to spot a tire that isn't inflated properly.

Sent from my right thumb using Tapatalk.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not really Birdman----we can run C to E ratings. On mine I have had 50 to 65lbs. As stated earlier---way too many variables involved here to even discuss except in general terms. I may be running 37x12.50/18's that are the same load rating as your 315/65/17 for example. The load and sidewall height have a lot to do with what goes on inside the tire. Higher sidewall will mean more flex just because there is more height.

Don't want to turn this into a :banghead: match but tire development is something I have been associated with for over 25 years. If you have questions email the manufacturer and advise them of your vehicle and the tires you are wanting to install. You will get pretty generic answers but if you are wanting to do something stupid like run 28 psi in a 65 psi tire they will tell you that you are a rolling accident waiting for a place to happen lol.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is the 50 PSI on the side of the factory Raptor tires max PSI only and not recommended PSI. When I picked up my Raptor new I found the ride a little harsh, when I checked the tire pressure the next morning they were at 52 PSI cold. After looking at the door sticker aired them down to 44 PSI. Not sure if they came from the factory or at the time of PDI they were aired up.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's interesting! As delivered, my tires had only 35 psi and I got a low pressure warning in less than a week.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
A huge oversight in most of the points made above is the weight that tire is carrying. Just because you have an E rated tire doesn't mean you have to automatically carry certain psi all the time. Anybody who's hauled heavy loads over the road knows you don't build up nearly the same amount of heat in a tire (which, by the way, is what destroys a tire at speed- not flex) loaded as when unloaded. PSI becomes MUCH more critical when you're running close to that specific tire's maximum carrying capacity. Speed plays a huge role as well, but we're discussing psi.

Also, someone mentioned the numbers on the side of the tire. Those are MAX INFLATION numbers!:ROFLJest:

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine must have been over inflated at PDI because the Red Raptor I test drove the night before I picked mine up felt very smooth and at delivery my black truck felt harsh, I immediately thought dam somethings wrong with this truck.

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

A huge oversight in most of the points made above is the weight that tire is carrying. Just because you have an E rated tire doesn't mean you have to automatically carry certain psi all the time. Anybody who's hauled heavy loads over the road knows you don't build up nearly the same amount of heat in a tire (which, by the way, is what destroys a tire at speed- not flex) loaded as when unloaded. PSI becomes MUCH more critical when you're running close to that specific tire's maximum carrying capacity. Speed plays a huge role as well, but we're discussing psi.

Also, someone mentioned the numbers on the side of the tire. Those are MAX INFLATION numbers!:ROFLJest:

So why is BOSS HOSS saying he runs 50 to 65PSI in his tires. At 65PSI I would think that would be a very harsh ride not sure what tires he has though.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
So why is BOSS HOSS saying he runs 50 to 65PSI in his tires. At 65PSI I would think that would be a very harsh ride not sure what tires he has though.

Maybe he's got a load in the rear?:sorry:

Last edited: