Which tire? 35" Grabbers or 315 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was pretty much sold on the Grabbers in a 35" after seeing them in action on bstoner59's Raptor in Death Valley. But then I started looking around and I ran across the GY Duratracs

As much as I love to take 'er off road as often as possible, the reality is this is my daily driver. Its also a reality that I'm a good 400-500 miles away from the good dirt, so 3/4 of an "off road trip" mileage is going to be on pavement for me anyway. And aside from all the handling characteristic differences, I'm just not too excited about all the extra rotational mass of the Grabber over the Duratrac.

Also I'm kinda weird in that I like the stock wheels, especially knowing that they're made to take the abuse I dish out when I do get 'er off pavement. So I'm not interested in changing those out at this time.

I do find myself in the rain and snow in the winter, and that means mud from time to time.

Which would you pick, and why? Any install pics? Thanks in advance :)

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im in the same boat as you bud. I love the look of the stock wheels... No way am i going the Grabber way. I am getting the Duratracs and I have the poly beads for balancing. I have had a few sets of BFG's and have not been disappointed with em... its just that I just want something else to try.

fordandchevyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thinkn the duratracs might be the ones for you. i have seen them on several different rigs and they do great. really only the desert runners have the grabbers. i don't think they would do to good in the snow and mud, but then again prove me wrong. i don't know grabbers that well. if you wanted to stay with genrals maybe the general grabber at2 would be cool. don't know if they make them in the size you want but id check them out too, there more like stock.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
no offense to those who have the Grabbers, but they wear like shit and are very 1 dimensional tires. the Duratracs are a better quality tire, less road noise, and will perform better in snow and mud. not to mention I think they are considerably lighter than the Grabbers. they are the one's I'm looking at J, although my Dad is trying to steer me toward the Cooper AT3 because they are a little less aggressive and will likely wear a little better on pavement.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've put a few sets Duratracs on various vehicles, never see any problems or complaints; just did a set on a Tundra I lifted a few hours ago. Only thing that concerns me is the side wall thickness. For everyday driving I'm sure it would never be an issue, but I wouldn't want to rely on them for a Raptor run. I compared the thickness to a Regular BFG TKO, and a BFG KM2. The duratrac was definitively the thinnest of the group with the KM2 being the thickest. Maybe the Kevlar fibers make up for the sidewall thickness... I dunno, seemed pretty damn (scary) thin.

I have a set of generals. They do wear faster than a regular tire, but the wear is even; possibly because I'm overly **** about my alignment. I think they do better in the mud then the stock tires, I wouldn't say they're horrible in mud.. But I do not daily drive my generals, they're just too damn heavy for my liking. I have two sets of wheels. The stock BFG's are mounted to the OMF wheels I bought from Bojangles, these are my daily driver wheels/tires. The generals are mounted to the original stock wheels. I really think this is the way to do it, have a set mounted up for D/D and a set mounted up for off road.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^That's a really interesting point. I didn't realize the sidewall was so much thinner than even OEM?

Hmm... we're definitely rubbing rocks all the time in the desert. So much so last time that I was a bit concerned about the OEM's actually (but they did just fine). If you're saying the Duratracs are even thinner?

Do you know if they are they sure sure kevlar lined on the sides PA? I wonder how airing down affects things? I'm always airing down to 26-30psi depending.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I've put a few sets Duratracs on various vehicles, never see any problems or complaints; just did a set on a Tundra I lifted a few hours ago. Only thing that concerns me is the side wall thickness. For everyday driving I'm sure it would never be an issue, but I wouldn't want to rely on them for a Raptor run. I compared the thickness to a Regular BFG TKO, and a BFG KM2. The duratrac was definitively the thinnest of the group with the KM2 being the thickest. Maybe the Kevlar fibers make up for the sidewall thickness... I dunno, seemed pretty damn (scary) thin.

I have a set of generals. They do wear faster than a regular tire, but the wear is even; possibly because I'm overly **** about my alignment. I think they do better in the mud then the stock tires, I wouldn't say they're horrible in mud.. But I do not daily drive my generals, they're just too damn heavy for my liking. I have two sets of wheels. The stock BFG's are mounted to the OMF wheels I bought from Bojangles, these are my daily driver wheels/tires. The generals are mounted to the original stock wheels. I really think this is the way to do it, have a set mounted up for D/D and a set mounted up for off road.

aren't the OEM BFG a Load Range D 8 ply sidewall and the Duratracs are E - 10 ply?

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The sidewalls on Duratrac are stronger/thicker than factory BFGs. They are not Kevlar like the Toyos, but Toyos add ~20LBS per corner. The Grabbers shouldn't be compared to Duratrac, not even the same league to be frank. Toyos are great if you have a sandpit in your backyard.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
The sidewalls on Duratrac are stronger/thicker than factory BFGs. They are not Kevlar like the Toyos, but Toyos add ~20LBS per corner. The Grabbers shouldn't be compared to Duratrac, not even the same league to be frank. Toyos are great if you have a sandpit in your backyard.

i wouldn't give Toyos or Nittos to my worst enemy. crapola tires.