Time to upgrade wheels and tires.. Need help on tires..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hoxman

Reaction score
Hey,

I, like many others here, have read multiple (hundreds) of threads about which wheel/tires, etc..

I have decided on American Racing ATX series AX 186 black wheels with machined edges.. They are 18x9 wheels....

I have (like most) narrowed it down to 3 tire choices:
(1) Goodyear Wrangler MTR
(2) Toyo Open Country MT
(3) Mickey Thompson MTZ

Size will be between 325/65-18, 305/70-18 and 35x12.50 r18

I do 85% driving on road, but in FL where I am there is sand and mud that I play in time to time (Raptor is not totally castrated)...
I plan on buying 5 wheels and tires...

Which one is best for my application? I am having the front set to mid perch as well, but no other mods to be done...
I did change out the exhaust to a cat back Magnaflow exhaust 2 years ago, still has two side pipes... Any prob with spare tire and that???

Any help is appreciated. I'll post pics when its all said and done...
Thanks!

Badgerscab6.2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at those wheels at one point as well. They gonna put a lot of stress on yer truck at -24 offset. better finding something closer to a 0 offset But if yer set on those probly go with the toyos, possibly look into nitto trail grap as well. made by toyo, just a "budget" series tire. As far as spare still fitting, I dont see a problem as you're staying with a 35"ish tire. Same as stock just a bigger wheel

-Jeremy

FP Forged

Justin Lundy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of those 3 tires for a truck that 85% on the pavement I'd say Toyo hands down. They're probably the smoothest M/T on the pavement.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Toyos are going to be way heavier than most. This will result in loss of power, lower MPGs.
MTZs: I've heard don't last long. My buddy's were toast on his at about 25,000 miles.
MTRs: I've heard they don't last long, especially on hot pavement.

My recommendations:
AT: Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx
MT: Nitto Trail Grappler

FP Forged

Justin Lundy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Toyos are going to be way heavier than most. This will result in loss of power, lower MPGs.
MTZs: I've heard don't last long. My buddy's were toast on his at about 25,000 miles.
MTRs: I've heard they don't last long, especially on hot pavement.

My recommendations:
AT: Cooper Discoverer ST
MT: Nitto Trail Grappler

Nitto Trail Grappler is also 80lbs like the Toyo.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

customtruckshop

LGE-CTS Motorsports
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We run Toyos, they have a smoother and quieter ride on the road than any M/T in my opinion, and they perform really well.

Chase

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been running MTR Kevlar for 30k miles and will easily get 40 + out if them. I have had zero issues with them but have also rotated them EVERY oil change and kept my truck in alignment. Important for any MT in my opinion.

I looked at Toyo, Nitto, etc. Before buying MTR's but what sold me was the weight. The MTR's were the closest to factory weight of the three. Very important if you do a lot of highway driving like myself and don't want to loose even more mpg. No complaints off road either other than throwing small pebbles when they get stuck in the tread.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. All three are good choices but my vote is MTR.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.