time for 6 new tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
wow, okay, lots to read up on. I think I have it narrowed down to two tires:

either the General Grabbers or the Goodyear MT/R w/kevlar. Both tires get great ratings for hard rock, mud, snow, and okay for ice. The Goodyears weight 67 pounds to the 78 for Generals, and dropping 44 pounds of spun mass is a pretty cool thing.

anyone have any experience, good or bad on the Goodyears?

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
wow, okay, lots to read up on. I think I have it narrowed down to two tires:

either the General Grabbers or the Goodyear MT/R w/kevlar. Both tires get great ratings for hard rock, mud, snow, and okay for ice. The Goodyears weight 67 pounds to the 78 for Generals, and dropping 44 pounds of spun mass is a pretty cool thing.

anyone have any experience, good or bad on the Goodyears?

I've heard the Goodyear MT/Rs w/ Kevlar don't have a long tread life. Especially on hot pavement.

Also heard the the General Grabbers are great on dirt. But suck in the wet/snow.

KM2s seem to be a good choice, but I have seen a story or two about the belts separating.

Having owned Toyo MTs, I agree with your comments. Heavy and suck in the rain. I owned Nitto Trail Grapplers and they were a little lighter, but provided much better wet/dry traction. Although they did have an increase in road noise.

My current three tires I'm looking at are: the Cooper ST Maxx, the Toyo R/T, and the new BFG KO2s.

OP
OP
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've heard the Goodyear MT/Rs w/ Kevlar don't have a long tread life. Especially on hot pavement.

Also heard the the General Grabbers are great on dirt. But suck in the wet/snow.

KM2s seem to be a good choice, but I have seen a story or two about the belts separating.

Having owned Toyo MTs, I agree with your comments. Heavy and suck in the rain. I owned Nitto Trail Grapplers and they were a little lighter, but provided much better wet/dry traction. Although they did have an increase in road noise.

My current three tires I'm looking at are: the Cooper ST Maxx, the Toyo R/T, and the new BFG KO2s.

thanks for the comments. long tread life doesn't really factor in for me - as I'll tear them up at events long before I hit mileage (truck is over 3 years old now and only 14,500 miles)

I do like the kevlar sidewalls, helps with that nasty shale

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
MTR's? you mean the goodyears? no. just stock to Toyo MT's. Which are epically (yeah I made up the word) useless in the mud.

Yeah I meant the Open Country MT's. Toughest tire I've found yet although you're right, they're heavy.

I've had both Goodyear Wrangler MTR's and BFG KM2's on the feed truck. 3 of 4 of the Goodyears blew out the sidewalls. That Kevlar ******** is pure marketing hype. Although they were decent in the thick mud. If I were doing a mud tire on the Raptor I'd probably go with the KM2's.

I don't get your comment about the Toyo MT's sucking in the mud. No offense, but maybe you're not driving them right? You have to spin them fast to clear them. You clear the tread and then it grabs more mud the next turn. Moreso on the Toyo's than the other 2. Granted, different tread patterns work better in different types of mud, but overall I had no complaints with the Toyos around here.

One thing about the Toyos is they don't have great sideways traction. The KM2's would be better at that.

OP
OP
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I meant the Open Country MT's. Toughest tire I've found yet although you're right, they're heavy.

I've had both Goodyear Wrangler MTR's and BFG KM2's on the feed truck. 3 of 4 of the Goodyears blew out the sidewalls. That Kevlar ******** is pure marketing hype. Although they were decent in the thick mud. If I were doing a mud tire on the Raptor I'd probably go with the KM2's.

I don't get your comment about the Toyo MT's sucking in the mud. No offense, but maybe you're not driving them right? You have to spin them fast to clear them. You clear the tread and then it grabs more mud the next turn. Moreso on the Toyo's than the other 2. Granted, different tread patterns work better in different types of mud, but overall I had no complaints with the Toyos around here.

One thing about the Toyos is they don't have great sideways traction. The KM2's would be better at that.

spin them fast - have you seen me drive?

the KM2's rating looks pretty good as well, and at 67 pounds they are very light.

On the goodyears, were they side punctures on your work truck?

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
spin them fast - have you seen me drive?

the KM2's rating looks pretty good as well, and at 67 pounds they are very light.

On the goodyears, were they side punctures on your work truck?

I like the KM2's for that very reason. And if you're not worried about longevity, they'd be perfect.

The sidewalls split from flexing on the goodyears. 2 of them replaced under warranty

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I thought KM2s wore well. The only reason I was hesitant is the stories about the belts separating and the price. I love the looks, weight, and quiet ride that people claim.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
I thought KM2s wore well. The only reason I was hesitant is the stories about the belts separating and the price. I love the looks, weight, and quiet ride that people claim.

Yeah I didn't mean to imply they wear out prematurely, just not near the life of the Toyos. Although I've heard the Open Country MT's now use a different compound so they may not be as bulletproof now.