For Those Who've Run Toyo MT 37x13.5r17...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the loss in perceived power due to the weight of the tires so noticeable that you wished you had gone with something else or is it a requirement to get different gears? And, was there any damage or increased wear to 4wd components or other parts like joints and driveline? I saw the "37's and gearing" thread but some said yes and others said no so I want to know about these tires specifically. I already have them on order but would have time to switch to something else if need-be.

I'm on 35" toyo MT's now, so it would be about 10 extra lbs per tire (?).

Thanks!

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Was the loss in perceived power due to the weight of the tires so noticeable that you wished you had gone with something else or is it a requirement to get different gears? And, was there any damage or increased wear to 4wd components or other parts like joints and driveline? I saw the "37's and gearing" thread but some said yes and others said no so I want to know about these tires specifically. I already have them on order but would have time to switch to something else if need-be.

I'm on 35" toyo MT's now, so it would be about 10 extra lbs per tire (?).

Thanks!

Geo I have the same mods and 37" Toyos will need some extra clearancing even for normal driving. I fitted them and they would hit at full lock or compression. I decided against them and stuck with 35 Toyo MT's. If you do it, get the gears. I've seen both and gears are a world of difference. I've come to the conclusion the people that claim to OffRoad with 37" Toyos are full of shit unless they clearances firewall and aftermarket fenders. You may need to leave the liners off also. It's a true 37 and the 13.5 is more like 14 FYI. You def need 12.5.

OP
OP
Geo_Tactical

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geo I have the same mods and 37" Toyos will need some extra clearancing even for normal driving. I fitted them and they would hit at full lock or compression. I decided against them and stuck with 35 Toyo MT's. If you do it, get the gears. I've seen both and gears are a world of difference. I've come to the conclusion the people that claim to OffRoad with 37" Toyos are full of shit unless they clearances firewall and aftermarket fenders. You may need to leave the liners off also. It's a true 37 and the 13.5 is more like 14 FYI. You def need 12.5.

Thanks for the reply. I have new fenders on order as well, plus 3.0's set to what would be mid-perch height. I thought that would be enough to clear them, along with banging on the pinch weld for a while, but maybe not? The 12.5 is definitely lighter, and I don't want to spend a bunch of money on suspension mods only to limit myself for an extra 1" of tire width. Also appreciate the feedback on the need for gears. I definitely don't want to start down that path.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have new fenders on order as well, plus 3.0's set to what would be mid-perch height. I thought that would be enough to clear them, along with banging on the pinch weld for a while, but maybe not? The 12.5 is definitely lighter, and I don't want to spend a bunch of money on suspension mods only to limit myself for an extra 1" of tire width. Also appreciate the feedback on the need for gears. I definitely don't want to start down that path.

I have Glassworks +2 fenders and 3.0's all around SVC UPPERS/lowers and they still didn't fit. I would blow my fenders off off roading with them. Your call but my guess is the street queens or guys that drive down to the lake front will say they off road with them and they're fine. I call BS because they don't fit. Jarrett and Jason from TMX said the same thing if a professional opinion is what you're after.

OP
OP
Geo_Tactical

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Glassworks +2 fenders and 3.0's all around SVC UPPERS/lowers and they still didn't fit. I would blow my fenders off off roading with them. Your call but my guess is the street queens or guys that drive down to the lake front will say they off road with them and they're fine. I call BS because they don't fit. Jarrett and Jason from TMX said the same thing if a professional opinion is what you're after.

Your opinion is good enough for me. Going with 12.5's. Thanks man!

OP
OP
Geo_Tactical

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's too bad that the inflated diameter is so much bigger than the 13.5 rating with the 37's. Went around town today to see what was in the local area...nothing in stock of course. They did have some R/T's. Decent looking tire, but I wouldn't go that route over an MT.

Last edited:

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's too bad that the inflated diameter is so much bigger than the 13.5 rating with the 37's. Went around town today to see what was in the local area...nothing in stock of course. They did have some R/T's. Decent looking tire, but I wouldn't go that route over an MT.

If you really want 37's go with BFG KM2 or KR2. They're more like a 36.4 and fit no problem. You'll want gears though. 35" Toyo MT is only 1" smaller than most 37's. Plus on our Reno to Vegas run which I also pre-ran not one flat. Over 1000 miles off road total. 6 flats on the run all BFG.