Stock Tires good enough for California Snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Varhammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the stock tires good enough for California Snow..
I'm talking Lake Tahoe or Reno type..
Not the kind you find in Canada.

I plan on getting cables also..but was wondering if our stock tires would be good enough..

Any members living here in California with some experience with our stock tires is appreciated..
Any guidance from other members is also very much appreciated too..

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Montana, and I actually love the softer stock compound in the cold , snow and ice conditions, compared to the harder compound on the standard BFG AT.

Mine grip awesome, and I've spent MANY MANY miles in 4x4 rigs on BFG ATs up here in the winters.

Last edited:

rptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you said for cali weathers.
Bfg ATs do not work in canadian winters they just turn into snowballs and dont clean themselves out!

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock BFG's do perfectly fine in Sierra Nevada snow. My truck is almost 4 years old and it's been to Tahoe and Reno every winter.

That being said... my truck is 4 years old, and desperately needs new tires. I plan on getting some Duratracs in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

rptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420042093.779840.jpg

Not trollin but mud grapplers one of my fav snow tires.... Loved em when i had em.

Juiced4ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Tahoe. The stockers work fine. I've had better tires and worse tires but you will be fine. And don't bother with cables for them you won't need them.

rptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mud grapplers or any mt tire only work well in deep compact able snow. Dusting they are sketchy due to lack of siping

Never had a issue with them on icy highways. But then again i only see a paved road once or twice a year. Most are deep snowed in roads