snow chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's my raptor in over 1 foot of snow! Had no problems, the road was closed the night before and we had to stay overnight in a high priced Best Western!!

IMG00659-20110325-0705.jpg

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so driving on the interstate do I need to be in 4wd?

When using 4WD you need to have enough snow/mud/loose dirt under the tires to prevent binding in the drive line. Very bad things can happen if you run 4WD on a firm surface. So whether you're on an Interstate or a surface street, you need sufficient snow under the tires to protect the 4WD system. How much will vary somewhat depending upon the temperature and type of snow, but as a rule of thumb I wouldn't be tempted to use 4WD with less than an inch of snow on the ground.

Read the pertinent pages of your Owner's Manual and the Raptor Supplement.

Tmesic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't drive in the snow very often, but have in flagstaff a few times. how come you more experienced guys haven't mention whether to keep the rear diff. locked.

What's the verdict on that ? When drive on icey roads I use it. I have heard the theory that in turn it can help break the tires loose but I have never had the issue, but I do turn cautiously .

On my rock crawler I will use front and rear but only on the back roads or when pulling people out. Tim

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I drove on solid sheets of ice in Atlanta's ice storms back in Feb. with stock tires and 50% tread. No problems whatsoever. You will do fine without chains as long as the snow isn't too powdery and deep.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Only time I locked mine outside of running in sand, was when driving up an ice covered hill when I was in MD last winter. Probably could have made it with out locking it, but since I had it I used it.