snow chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snakedoctor

Reaction score
I'm going on a 8 week assignment in colorado starting tomorrow and was told to make sure that I had a 4 wheel drive. I have only seen about an inch of snow my entire life and have definitely never driven in it. Do I need snow chains? I'm confused on how they even work. Any precautions if I do use them?

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I'm going on a 8 week assignment in colorado starting tomorrow and was told to make sure that I had a 4 wheel drive. I have only seen about an inch of snow my entire life and have definitely never driven in it. Do I need snow chains? I'm confused on how they even work. Any precautions if I do use them?

What are the conditions of your tires now?
Do you still have stock tires?
How deep is the snow you are going in?

Our trucks can handle very deep snow easily so if you get say a foot of snow you would be fine as long as your tires are not bald.

Last edited:

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Snakedoctor,
Where in Colorado will you be travelling? Chains will get you out most of the time, but limit your maximum speed. Rarely needed other than deep snow. Will you be travelling primarily in deep snow? Mostly off road? If not I'd save my $, as they plow roads in Colorado just like most northern states.
However if your plans include long off road trips it might be worthwhile to have a set with you just in case....
Eddie

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Be advised of the following:
In the Tire Information section of the 2011 Ford Raptor Supplement under the heading Winter Driving on page 29 you will find this:

"The original equipment tires on your SVT vehicle are designed for maximum performance in all driving conditions. However, they are not designed to be used with snow chains. If you will be operating your vehicle with snow chains, use a smaller tire and wheel combination as recommended in the Owner's Guide."

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was towing my travel trailer through the rocky mountains in the winter as I was camping in California, well, I had to put snow chains on the rear of the raptor and each axle of the trailer due to laws, anyway, I had the stock tires at that time and the chains worked awesome on the truck for deep icy snow. I had to use semi chains that were cut to fit my tires, etc, by a professional on the side of the road. He had all the tools to install them, but wtf, when I had to take them off, what a hassle that was, as I didn't have the "key" to unlock the chains, etc. Anyway, not for the faint of heart, to install/remove, watch out for the sensors behind the wheels, I had the chains wrapped around the axle,etc, trying to get them off, laying in the snow and cold, I'm sure you get the picture. Lots of cursing and swearing!!! Got rid of the chains when I got home and vowed to never tow anything through the mountains in the winter time again!!

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will be in Kreemling which is about 2 hours west of denver. My truck only has 6000 miles on it and still has the stock tires. I don't "plan" on venturing out too much

You'll be fine, doc. Your tires have plenty of tread and the truck is exquisitely capable. I would say that if you need chains it's because you're overdriving the conditions.

Just remember this rule:

Four wheel drive helps you go.
It does nothing for stopping.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
roads are usually closed before 4wd vehicles are required to have chains (unless you are towing) they figure that if a 4wd vehicle needs chains then a 2wd vehicle with chains wont make it, and therefore a road closure. i have never seen an occasion where a 4wd vehicle not towing was required to have chains on. for the last 5 years i have been to tahoe every winter and we always seem to manage to go when its snowing out. traffic sucks, due to all the 2wd vehicles, but chains were never required for 4wd vehicles. now if you are talking about road that dont get plowed, then maybe it will be a good idea to have some. but for a familiar road and a highly traveled road, you shouldnt need them. im not saying dont go out and buy some, its good to have, but depending on the road it could be an optional tool in the bag. just remember to drive in the tracks the vehicle makes in front of you...... unless you are like me and like to do weird random shit and do donuts in the snow while others are putting chains on.......