School me on Baja T/A "project" tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
we got a nice shipment of the KR2's in the last week. amazing tires!

Pat
RPG tech/sales

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 133

Monster44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we got a nice shipment of the KR2's in the last week. amazing tires!

Pat
RPG tech/sales

Hey Pat, quick question. For some reason the projects don't look like they have a lot of tread depth, is there a reason for this or is it just me. To me the tread depth doesn't look as deep as a dot tire.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Hey Pat, quick question. For some reason the projects don't look like they have a lot of tread depth, is there a reason for this or is it just me. To me the tread depth doesn't look as deep as a dot tire.

It's not. Remember most racers put on new tires every race.

The projects do wear really well though.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The reason race tires are not DOT approved is because the consumer base for such a high cost tire for daily use is so small they would never make up the costs of DOT approval with tire sales, most race tires are still made to meet or exceed DOT ratings

That is Not what the manufacturers have told me. How did you come upon this information might I ask????

This is going to get good folks---sit down and get the popcorn.. I thought Cleave knew better...

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is Not what the manufacturers have told me. How did you come upon this information might I ask????

This is going to get good folks---sit down and get the popcorn.. I thought Cleave knew better...

what have the manufacturers told you?

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

what trey said is spot on. most teams use a set or two a race depending on how long the race is. also the compound on most of the race tires (non DOT) are a harder compound and wear a lot less than DOT tires would.

Pat
RPG tech/sales

Ramrodthrusterpuppy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason race tires are not DOT approved is because the consumer base for such a high cost tire for daily use is so small they would never make up the costs of DOT approval with tire sales, most race tires are still made to meet or exceed DOT ratings

I find that difficult to believe for big multi-national companies like BF Goodrich.

I think the real reason is that race tires (whether it be on or off road) use different rubber compounds and tread patterns that don't conform to DOT standards for passenger vehicles in daily use for all different weather conditions. Race tires are used for short durations in specific conditions....DOT approved tires need to conform to a wide variety of criteria over a longer service life.