School me on Baja T/A "project" tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackReef

Reaction score
1.) There are (2) types of 'project' tires, right? Race Only and DOT approved?

2.) Do both types have kevlar sidewalls?

3.) What are the sizes available for DOT legal use? Is 39x13.5R17 the largest you can go? And can you get 39"s that are DOT legal?

4.) Where would you purchase a 39" DOT legal project tire? (with the smooth tread)

Thanks

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 AM ----------

Just found this:

The original Baja TA is available in 4 sizes

-31 x 10.5 x 15
-33 x 10.5 x 15
-33 x 12.5 x 15
-35 x 12.5 x 15

The Baja TA with the "project" tread is available in 3 sizes

-35 x 12.5 x 17
-37 x 12.5 x 17
-315/75R16

The "project" race tire is available in 4 sizes that I know of

-35 x 12.5 x 15
-35 x 14.5 x 15
-37 x 12.5 x 17
-39 x 12.5 x 17

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
No 39" DOT tire.

They offer a 42" with 20" rim that a few racers are running now.

Your size info looks right. The original Baja is the mud grip looking tread.

To confuse you even more there is now the Baja KR2 which is also a more aggressive tire and also called a project.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Kr2 in the lower part of the picture. u4evy7ez.jpg

Mounted on our 7200
huzypega.jpg

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But it not DOT.

What does that mean to me? Do peoples get tickets for running them on the street? Are they not as safe?

I'm asking seriously. If these are not too much of an issue, then I could go on to ask the practical and logistical question.

6.2 - Power To Do More

G & P Racing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, some are very concerned about legal issues and liability if something where ever to happen. Personally I run DOT tires for long road trips and daily use if I don't have any offroad trips planned in the near future. That said, on the new KR2's, I drove from Santa Ana to Ensenada, MX, ran the NORRA 1000 down to Cabo, then drove it back to Santa Ana. Never went on the trailer. No issues, saw triple digit speeds on the race course, and the left front made the whole trip. Right front was swapped out in La Paz during the race due to a nail ( repaired later) and the two rears were swapped out the last day of the race just to have fresh rubber for the last sections. All the tires held up fine to mixed dirt pavement use south of the border. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The reason race tires are not DOT approved is because the consumer base for such a high cost tire for daily use is so small they would never make up the costs of DOT approval with tire sales, most race tires are still made to meet or exceed DOT ratings

Represent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason race tires are not DOT approved is because the consumer base for such a high cost tire for daily use is so small they would never make up the costs of DOT approval with tire sales, most race tires are still made to meet or exceed DOT ratings

a small part cost 250k just to get in the door, then theres fees for time and testing. could run up to 1M

couldnt imagine BFGoodrich fees to get tires dot approved

ALLOUTWARN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive ran the project race tires (non dot) 37s on both my raptors, absolutely love these tires, never had any problems and will continue running them!

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The ones in the pictures you posted were kr2s though, so just your statement was wrong and not the pictures?