Real world differences between wheel sizes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

csirnak

Reaction score
Bought a raptor! First Ford! Wheel qusrions

Edit: Ha my first post and I mess up the title!

Hey everyone, just traded in a 2011 escalade for a raptor! 2013 with 24000 on it. Owned GM, Dodge, GM again, and now Ford!

It's a black crewcab with everything but he tonneau cover. And no decals. So far I love it!

I have a question about rims and tires. I live in a cold northern area where I will need winter studded tires for several months. I'm thinking of using the factory wheels with some winter tires and buying some aftermarket rims with some 35" Toyos.

I KNOW I don't want to put 20s on it, which will kill the ride and also make it more useless off-road. I would like to keep the stock capabilitilies!

What are your opinion on 17s vs 18s? Would I even notice a difference in ride or off-road? I find I like the look of the 18s more but if they affect much, I probably will go with 17s.

Last edited:

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My opinion only, but I live in Montana, and drive on badroads constantly.

The factory BFGs AT are great in the winter. If yours have lots of tread left try them first. I've driven 25 plus adult winters on siped BFG mud terrains, and non siped ATs. Never felt I needed any more.

If you still need studs keep the factory size. I wouldn't go 18s, the more flexible the sidewall is the better the ability of the tire carcass to conform to the road.

Lots of folks sell their factory wheels on this forum and you could easily buy a set and mount up some studded tires of your choice on those.

Again, just my opinion from the past years.

cbcgeneral

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on converting to the best truck you can buy. I would also say to stick to 17's as I think they look better and perform better off-road but that's just my opinion. It's your truck so make it into what you want. X2 on posting some pics.

Zeke555

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. I am not much help with tire question as I just got mine a month ago. I am going to try the stock BFG this winter and look at possibly getting BFG KO2 next year. They have a really good winter rating.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome! I run Goodyear wrangler Duratrac in stock size and they are available with studs. Also I hear nokian makes a winter tire in stock size may be called the LT2. Do not run a smaller diameter tire it messes with your traction control and abs in a bad way

OP
OP
C

csirnak

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm thinking I'll stay with 17s and use a second set for winter tires. Still tempted by the looks of the 18s but want stock functionality!