Rattle can Fun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! Been curious about doing this to my NV's as well. I'm curious how the plasti-dip holds up. I like the fact that I could always peel off the plast-dip if I want to go back. I'm just a little worried about the plasti-dip holding up.

Does plasti-dip usually hold up well for most people here?

OP
OP
SlimChaChi

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice! Been curious about doing this to my NV's as well. I'm curious how the plasti-dip holds up. I like the fact that I could always peel off the plast-dip if I want to go back. I'm just a little worried about the plasti-dip holding up.

Does plasti-dip usually hold up well for most people here?
Haven't put it to the test yet. I used a few light even coats and seems ok. Prior to that I spray painted the bolts. I'll probably check back in a bit and give an update on how it held up. I really just wanted those he yellowish bolts gone.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, yeah, I will watch and maybe bug you after you've beat on them and washed them at least a few times. I was curious about plasti-dip on the whole too. I've been interested in doing it to my grill too but just thinking itll chip and peal from all the little rocks and bugs from the road.

Just a heads up about you spray painting your tailpipes. I tried it with the high temp BBQ grill paint and it chipped a decent bit for me. I ended up getting some replacement tips from my muffler guy that were professionally powder coated. The muffler guy said that the high temp paint would have worked if I had used some primer before paint. Maybe that's a bonehead mistake by me...but just a little heads up

OP
OP
SlimChaChi

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cool, yeah, I will watch and maybe bug you after you've beat on them and washed them at least a few times. I was curious about plasti-dip on the whole too. I've been interested in doing it to my grill too but just thinking itll chip and peal from all the little rocks and bugs from the road.

Just a heads up about you spray painting your tailpipes. I tried it with the high temp BBQ grill paint and it chipped a decent bit for me. I ended up getting some replacement tips from my muffler guy that were professionally powder coated. The muffler guy said that the high temp paint would have worked if I had used some primer before paint. Maybe that's a bonehead mistake by me...but just a little heads up
Yea. I have heard mixed opinions about plastidip...I think it comes down to application and how much of a beating it takes. I remember on the f150forum a guy plastidipped his grill to look like the tremor grill and used some sort of clear coat on it...exactly what I'm not sure but he went through a rough ass winter and it held up very well.

Ahhh...I was debating the high temp pain on my pipes. nice heads up on the primer...gonna have to look into doing it at some point.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem at all about the heads up, that's what this place is for!

So I was in between getting the steel/chrome bolts from method for the NV's or painting these black. What are your impressions? Are you liking the black? Do they look too monotone at all in person? Sometimes I feel like the little bit of color from the bolts help to break up the complete blacked out look

OP
OP
SlimChaChi

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely! Well I actually have the stainless steel bolts sitting in the garage. My original bolts started to get some rust on them, so I had a chance to mess with something with no ramifications. I shot Method an email about the rusted bolts and not 3 days later had a set of stainless steel bolts at my door...great service by those guys...real easy to work with.

It is a bit monotone but I'm a big fan of black. I have an SE and the red interior sometimes gets on my nerves. I went so far as to actually take off the bed graphics...just couldnt stomach them. The red and stickers look nice but I just like simple and know I get bored of that stuff easy. I may get a gray wrap done in the future which would break it up a little color wise.

But to give you an idea...I have had 8 cars in 12 years. All either black or charcoal...

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm right with ya on the loving my black truck! I'm even going with the whole blacked out (murdered out) look. In fact, one of the few things that are left on my truck not black, are these little screws on the wheels. Just now I went and took off the bolts on one if the wheels just to see basically how they'd look all black. I actually think just the little bolts actually help break it up very subtly.

I will have to keep in mind that if my truck starts to get rust on the bolts, to let method know. How long did you have your wheels before you saw rust? Did they question you at all to see the rust that you were referring to?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 91
OP
OP
SlimChaChi

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm right with ya on the loving my black truck! I'm even going with the whole blacked out (murdered out) look. In fact, one of the few things that are left on my truck not black, are these little screws on the wheels. Just now I went and took off the bolts on one if the wheels just to see basically how they'd look all black. I actually think just the little bolts actually help break it up very subtly.

I will have to keep in mind that if my truck starts to get rust on the bolts, to let method know. How long did you have your wheels before you saw rust? Did they question you at all to see the rust that you were referring to?
I like the look man. I'm debating about the flares myselt...but if I go boatech in the future may not be worth it for me to do so. I responded to your PM about the bolts. I even think the SS wouldn't look bad with the black. But I know what you mean...every little bit of color that's not black gets on my nerves!

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! Yeah, just got your PM, thanks!

Fiberglass fenders are awesome...especially if you want to go to 37's. Also, I am happy with the exact match fenders but Ive seen some people with a flat black painted fender that looks damn good too, kinda matches the finish on the methods. I wish I would have considered that option a little more before i did mine, although I am happy. I actually think someone on here named Skyl3r has the fiberglass fenders and the matte black flares. I might have a pic, ill post it if i can find it