Question on tpms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the OBD sensor I bought OBDLink Wifi Scan Tool supports the following:

Supports all legislated OBD protocols:
ISO15765-4 (CAN)
ISO14230-4 (Keyword Protocol 2000)
ISO9141-2 (Asian, European, Chrysler vehicles)
J1850 VPW (GM vehicles)
J1850 PWM (Ford vehicles)

the frist ISO should get me into TPMS, now just need to find the app that supports it.

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I was able to confirm that the ELM327 is reading its data on pins 6/14 (HS Can), but still no luck in finding tpms data in dashcommand. Going to try some other apps and see if I have any luck there.

I also found this bulletin that goes into a bit more depth about how the tpms/bcm/dash all communicate, although it's about the interceptor not the F-150, it jives with what I've heard before, and I don't think they would have totally different systems that do the same thing between 2 vehicles of the same year if they could avoid it.

now just need to find the app that supports it.
Forscan does it via the MS-CAN, but that's windows only, no mobile app.

Found this on palmer performance, this is what you get if you buy the ford extended pids for ScanXL (their desktop tool). Would be nice to know if that extends to dashcommand as well (if So, like I said, I haven't found it)

Attachments

• elm327.jpg
    elm327.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The CAN accessed via OBDII is referred to as the "public" HS bus, but there are definitely more than one HS bus. I know for sure that the crash safety system is on its own HS bus (crash sensors, RCM-restraints control module, pyro devices, current/voltage monitors, OCS-occupant classification system, etc.)

Unfortunately, I believe the TPMS actually on a medium speed bus.

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I believe the TPMS actually on a medium speed bus.

Well we know it's on MS-Can because Forscan can get it there, but we also know that Maestro is getting it from the HS-Can too because it only taps those 2 wires, so it would appear it's in both places. So we know it's POSSIBLE to get it both places, the trick now is finding a mobile app/hardware combo that can read it.

Also, if anybody *happens* to have their dash apart and can put a continuity tester on the CAN pins of the headunit harness and the CAN pins on the ODB port... that would be very handy information to know.

Last edited:

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You said ODB! LOL I do the same thing... almost every time I type OBD, it comes out as ODB and I think of Ol' Dirty Bastard when I'm backspacing and correcting.

jcl48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok Guys, so after some time of being mad at Ford for what they came up with the Sony system and headunit, I decided to make the swap of a completly new headunit and audio system(component system in each door and 2 12" Subwoofer) I opted to go with kenwood Unit HD8900 since it was one that give me pretty much everything that the stock ford headunit features plus other cool stuff like OBII readings (individual tire pressure, actual MPG, Avg. MPG, Intake Temp. REVS, Battery level, etc, etc, etc....
Here are some pucs that I would like yo share on my setup.
2a2a2eqa.jpg3utu9ena.jpge4ezenam.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok Guys, so after some time of being mad at Ford for what they came up with the Sony system and headunit, I decided to make the swap of a completly new headunit and audio system(component system in each door and 2 12" Subwoofer) I opted to go with kenwood Unit HD8900 since it was one that give me pretty much everything that the stock ford headunit features plus other cool stuff like OBII readings (individual tire pressure, actual MPG, Avg. MPG, Intake Temp. REVS, Battery level, etc, etc, etc....
Here are some pucs that I would like yo share on my setup.

That's great for '10s and '11s, but any '12+ with MFT can't do that as iDataLink doesn't make a compatible maestro.

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went Kenwood DNX890HD. You want a 2013 and up Kenwood deck if you go that way as they have inputs for both the Maestro controller and SXM sat receiver. Previous years were one or the other.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jcl48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great for '10s and '11s, but any '12+ with MFT can't do that as iDataLink doesn't make a compatible maestro.

I am not sure if iDatalink do their Maestro units for 2013+.
My truck is a 2011 manufactured by the end of Sept. Of 2011 As far as I know my truck has about every option as the 12s have; only things I didn't get on my 11 was no Blue accent seats, no front view camera(which I installed a Kenwood to go with my Kenwood headunit), and the Torsen Limited Slip Front Diff.
When I did the install of the new Kenwood Headunit I went with the Maestro RR which is the best to go with of the iDatalink Products.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk