Probably a stupid TPMS question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so while back i put aluminum valve caps on my stems. threw a pressure code, went to check and the caps are corroded and cemented on the stems.... ive tried vice grips and even a dremel to cut em and then break em off, but no go.... so now im thinking i need to just change the stems... but i know the TPMS is in the stem.... so my question is.... is it the stem itself? or is it something added to the stem? can i get away with just getting 4 regular stems and paying the labor on unmounting and mounting 4 tires?

Thanks guys!

OP
OP
JuggNuttz

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
cool, thanks guys! i was wondering cuz the dealership i went to for oil change and rotation n stuff, i asked if they could try getting them off and was told we can try but since they are part of the stem, and if they break its $50 each plus labor..... i knew the guy was just a lazy ****....

D

Deleted member 12951

When I took a tire off the bead when offroading, I broke a stem. The tire shop I went to at the time (small road side one) didn't have a stem with the screw (that's what you need) so I had to run to a NAPA to get one, it was like $4. I would just buy a set yourself and have the shop install them so you know what you are getting.

And yeah, only use plastic caps on these stems. I grabbed a matching set of OEM look a likes from Autozone and carry them with me.

OP
OP
JuggNuttz

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ok hopefully last stupid question.... i was looking at these 2 kinds of valve stems, with either or both of these work?

http://smile.amazon.com/TR-416-Outer-Mount-Metal-Valve/dp/B00LAJTEFW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1431389311&sr=8-6&keywords=valve+stem

Amazon.com: 4PCS Black Plug in Wheel Rim Tire Valve Stem Cap for Auto Vehicles: Automotive

these 2nd ones i guess are more of a gun metal gray than black.... i think that should match the 2010-11 wheels pretty decently. if these wont work, ill probably grab whatever they got at pep boys or something.

OP
OP
JuggNuttz

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ahhh.... yeah i dont think those other ones will work.... looks like whatever pep boys has....

gDMJoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Metal valve stem caps (and sleeves) should never be put-on/used-with TPMS valve stems.

As JuggNuttz found out, they corrode and fuse-with the threads of the valve stems.

In addition, metal valve stem caps (and sleeves) interfere with TPMS signals.

And for the record - TPMS valve stem .....
tpmsvalvestem.jpg

OP
OP
JuggNuttz

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
well, i dont think ill be taking the truck to pep boys, just asking what the cost in labor would be, they already started with saying id have to replace the sensors too and they dont have the machine to sync them..... *******...

so the ones RDFTS linked, those will work? i think im just going to get those and then take it to a mom n pop shop. maybe my brother in law knows someone still who knows his stuff and is trust worthy.