Pinch welds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Agent_X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I figure I ask to fellow owners who have hammered in their pinch welds if I have done this at least half right. I cut about every 1/2 to 3/4 inch between bends on my pinch welds and so far I think it looks decent enough, but not perfect or pretty. I have attached a few pictures to show you all what I have done thus far.

What did you guys do with the bottom corner? Bend it or cut it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 503

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When you cut (if you cut) the bottom, take your time and try to get it rolled around so that all the road crap doesn't fly into a void that you can't see or clean. It can be done. Also, after you spray the area with primer, make sure to coat it with something that is pretty thick so you never have to worry about it again. Your pinch welds look pretty good - better than mine. Just make sure they are hammered back at least as far the rest of the firewall. It's kinda hard to tell from the pic of they are.

Good luck and good start!!!

OP
OP
A

Agent_X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with hammering it down and sprayed primer on it. I think I will end up finishing it up with a couple laters of canned liner, the fender liner is staying on when all finished.

TuFerLife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where you at in Tennessee? I might like to take a look at this before I do mine... I'm in Chattanooga.

OP
OP
A

Agent_X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Clarksville, Tn. We just a couple of hours apart. I got about 75% done with one side, and stopped for the night. I'll post more pictures up when I'm done. I know several people like to see the different ways these welds get hammered.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't like to cut, so you have to drive the metal.
First off, clean everything. After that use a rounded chisel and start hitting every halve inch; after you get to the top start over with a quarter inch offset and again every halve inch. And again offset in between...
You will end up with hitting it every point of the pinch weld flange; in between use a ball peen hammer and try to lay it down. If it will not give, go back to the rounded chisel.
After it's flat spry it down with HD metal protectant, let it soak in, clean off the outside and spry it with undercoating.
Just the way I do it...

Last edited: