Painting Svt Bead Lock Beauty Ring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkfc13

HPA Systems LLC.
Reaction score
They key to taking these off is to have a quality hardened torx bit. The only time I have stripped torx bolt heads was when I was using a cheap bit. When the bit starts to round off, you loose engagement with the bolt head and that is when you strip it.

There are a few of us that have had good luck with an air ratchet. It will give you enough torque to break the loc-tite but not strip the bolt head. @WRCRaptor

SVT_Aaron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that pattern, so ill just use a ratchet wrench then. Probably going to take some time taking them off.
That's not a bad price. I should off called around first and got prices to powder coat. I called to get a price from a local paint shop to paint them the blue flame color and they wanted $300. So when i seen that kit for only $45 that pretty much made my decision.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Ok thanks, I'll probably just use acetone then to clean them real nice. Then sand them i guess before paint or does it matter? I wish i had a buddy that did paint and body. :mad:

If you can get everything off with just the sand blaster then you should be fine if not then try using the acetone. lol yea im glad i do its less money out of my pocket.

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this recently using craftsmen torx ratchet and socket and it was a bitch. Rounded some but if just go slow you should be ok.

Some of them were a bitch to get back on with the loctite.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did this recently using craftsmen torx ratchet and socket and it was a bitch. Rounded some but if just go slow you should be ok.

Some of them were a bitch to get back on with the loctite.
That's why you need the breaker bar.

Also be sure the threads are cleaned out.

Lastly, you may not realize, but the ring can only go on one way. There is is slight cut out for the valve stem. It kinda blends in and isn't immediately noticeable.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

OP
OP
J

jay_777

Reaction score

Lastly, you may not realize, but the ring can only go on one way. There is is slight cut out for the valve stem. It kinda blends in and isn't immediately noticeable.

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully all goes well. I will post pictures after it is done. I also have some lights I'm getting in. i need to paint the casing on those to, because i dont like the chrome look. I attached a picture. Probably will FlexiDip the casing black.

Attachments

• vdfvfd.JPG
    vdfvfd.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 130

khenso01

Reaction score
Pics of mine

Had mine painted then epoxied satin black with the SVT logo ruby red, also painted my ring bolts ruby red to change things up

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 245

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The first time I tried to take the beadlocks off the bolts were very difficult to remove with hand tools and after the second one almost striped (because they use loctite at the factory) @djfc13 suggested the air ratchet and a hardened T45 for removal which was the trick. I still use hand tools to install so I don't strip the treads in the wheel.

These rings can see lots if abuse since they are more exposed then a normal wheel so make sure you get a durable coating.

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I swear I got arthritis in my thumb from breaking them all loose! Will try the break bar method next time. Not sure what you mean regarding them only going on one way? You mean like front to back or they have to line up with the valve stem?

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

They key to taking these off is to have a quality hardened torx bit. The only time I have stripped torx bolt heads was when I was using a cheap bit. When the bit starts to round off, you loose engagement with the bolt head and that is when you strip it.

There are a few of us that have had good luck with an air ratchet. It will give you enough torque to break the loc-tite but not strip the bolt head. @WRCRaptor

What do you consider quality hardened? I used craftsmen bit but I still managed to smooth some of the edges out. Any one know the size of the bolts and whether they can be had from Ford or somewhere else?

dkfc13

HPA Systems LLC.
Reaction score
I swear I got arthritis in my thumb from breaking them all loose! Will try the break bar method next time. Not sure what you mean regarding them only going on one way? You mean like front to back or they have to line up with the valve stem?

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

What do you consider quality hardened? I used craftsmen bit but I still managed to smooth some of the edges out. Any one know the size of the bolts and whether they can be had from Ford or somewhere else?

I have used the Lisle bits with a air ratchet on a few sets of wheels and the tools show no wear with no damage to the bolt heads.