Over inflating tires better mpg on long road trips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AggieSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a road trip up to colorado in my raptor this past summer, after 2000 miles of driving there and back my average mpg was 16 with a dirt bike in the bed and luggage. Also did some offroading. I think it mainly depends on your driving habits..

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some clown posted on FB that he was getting 16-18 mpg. That too me sounds like you're either playing a video game or you've never owned a raptor. Who can drive these lightly? When the light turns green, I always check my 0-60. :-D

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
My right foot can't stay out of it...

However, I wouldn't risk wearing the tires by over-inflation.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some clown posted on FB that he was getting 16-18 mpg. That too me sounds like you're either playing a video game or you've never owned a raptor. Who can drive these lightly? When the light turns green, I always check my 0-60. :-D

When my truck was new and prior to 35" toyo mts and suspension upgrades I had a 90 mile highway commute, I would average 16.3-16.6 after a week of driving back and forth to work.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
there's a drastic difference between over inflation of the door sticker pressure, and the sidewall max pressure.

The door sticker is what, 35 psi? The tire sidewall says 50 or 55 psi. The door jamb sticker is given for a mix of comfortable ride, handling, capacity, etc. The sidewall number is for max tire payload the max pressure you should safely run.

I always run mine a few psi above the door jamb sticker because I don't check it as often as I should, so when it slowly drops over time, by the time I check it and top it off again it's still at or above the door jamb sticker. I also measure my tire tread center and outer at every 5k tire rotation I do and they're wearing evenly. IIRC the door jamb says 35 and I run ~38 and tires are wearing great.

Now if I'm towing (~7500-8000 lbs), I'll bump the rears up to 50. It definitely helps stability when towing as well. If I've got a long road trip (3-4 hours or more) I'll bump all 4 up to 50. Rides slightly rougher, but hey every bit helps on fuel economy. It's over-inflating in the sense of the door jamb rating, but not over inflating in the sense of the tire's safe limit. For an hour drive or so, I don't bother, I leave them at 38ish.

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my truck was new and prior to 35" toyo mts and suspension upgrades I had a 90 mile highway commute, I would average 16.3-16.6 after a week of driving back and forth to work.
Yeah cruise control highway I get. 16 is pretty much the max. 16-18 around town? Highly improbable.