Nitto Exo Grappler Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastCompany

Reaction score
I have a '13 Raptor and just swapped out the OEM BFG A/T's with the Nitto Exo Grapplers (35x12.50r17). I got 38,000 on the OEM tires, but they were very loud, rode rough, and were getting slippery in wet conditions. They probably had 30% tread remaining. It's not fair to compare a new tire with a worn out one, but since the Nitto Exo's are new on the market and many of us are considering them, I will give my initial impression. (less than 1000 miles driven)

Don't let the pictures online turn you off, this is a much more aggressive tire than the typical all terrain. They are also very close to a true 35" instead of the 34" stock BFG's. I was favorably impressed with the stance once I saw them on the truck.

I'll start with the cons, they are heavy. You will notice the weight going from the stock BFG's. Acceleration, braking and MPG suffer a little. But not enough that I wouldn't recommend the tire. There is a slight MPG drop, about 1 MPG; I was averaging about 14, now it hovers just above 13. Not a bad tradeoff for a more aggressive tire. They are louder than the stock tires (new), my worn A/T's were substantially louder than the Exos. It is just a low hum, almost a "White Noise" at city speeds, at 70-80 mph they are a little louder but still not intrusive.

The Pros: right off the bat, this tire is MUCH smoother going down the road. My wife even commented how much smoother the ride was, they roll straight and don't follow the grooves in the road. Steering feel is great, and gives much more confidence over the OEM A/T's. Chatter bumps seem to just roll under the tire, they don't transmit into the steering wheel or upset the truck. In truth I think the ride is partially because of the extra weight of the tire, due to a much sturdier tire carcass.

My driving style is aggressive, I drive 25k+ a year and do take the truck off road. Usually messing around in Parker, AZ on the race course. While BFG Baja Project would be fine for this, I needed something that could tackle snowy conditions and handle the daily commute (and not flat spot). I have not tested the off road performance yet, but I have tested the tires in the snow and have been impressed. While not a great test since it was on semi plowed roads; it was good to see the potential. These tires are very grippy in hard pack road snow/ice, even driving with a heavy foot (to see if they broke free), they stuck better than I expected. On ice it was better than average, but no tire is going to be good without studs. Had to put it in 4wd to get out of a iced over, slopped, angled parking space in reverse. (didn't want to slide into the car next to me) But that was the only time I needed more than 2wd, even going up/down steeper hills.

I have Method Standard wheels at lower perch. Due to the larger tire and more aggressive sidewall they do rub on the rear fender, they also tag the corner of the bumper turning tight. (I accidentally nerfed a Prius, so my bumper is pushed in a little)

Hopefully in a year or so they will make a 37".
IMG_1729_zpsef30777e.jpg

IMG_1730_zps5eff8e3b.jpg

IMG_1728_zps9dc727ba.jpg

Last edited:

navywolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw your post on Amazon about these wheels. Guess I should have checked here before I threw a question your way there.
So, the wheels stick out due to the aftermarket Methods. Got it.