NEW Tires Pics + Review: Kanati Mud Hog

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Dudes,

I got new tires installed yesterday - Kanati Mud Hogs. I have not seen anyone else on here with Kanati tires, so I'd like to present another great option for others out there. My Duratracs had logged about 34,000 miles which included TRR 2013, Havoc in the Hills 2013, and Time Attack 2014. They still had tread left, but were badly chunked in some areas. I didn't trust them for Havoc in the Hills 2014, plus wanted to go with a more narrow tire. The Duratracs were 325/65R18, and measured nearly 13" wide. They were adequate off-road, but presented some issues for me with rubbing on my ICON upper arms and the rear of the fender liners.

Out with the old, in with the new: Kanati Mud Hog LT305/70R18 (35" x 12.2") They do offer several sizes in 17" that would fit the Raptor, including an 35 x 12.5.

DSC01136.jpg

The first thing that really appealed to me about the Mud Hogs, is of course their looks. They look very similar to the Toyo MT, but here's the kicker. In the 35 x 12.5R17 size, they are 20 LBS LIGHTER THAN TOYO MTs. The Toyos are listed as 83 LBS, the Mud Hogs are listed as 63.5 LBS.

* Edit: The tires shown on my truck are 305/70R18 (E load range, ~67lbs each)
The 35" x 12.5" R 17 I mention above (more standard Raptor size) are D load range, 63lbs each.

DSC01142.jpg

The next thing that can't be ignored, is the price. Most Raptor sizes are going to be under $300 each. I don't question their quality, because although I had never heard of Kanati before, they are a brand of tires made by Greenball. Some of you ATV/UTV guys will probably recognize GBC Motorsports...same company.

DSC01144.jpg

I only have about 50 miles on them, but I can speak to their initial quality. One big factor for me his how tires perform on a Road Force balancing machine. It's usually a good indicator of how the tires will ride and how consistent their manufacturing is. All 4 tires passed the Road Force balancing on the first shot. The highest road force measurement was 24 where 30 is the highest recommended. Come to find out, one of my Method NVs is bent and it was on that tire. It still only took 5oz to balance. The other 3 tires were 14,9,6 road force on the first try, with an average of 3oz balancing weights used. So, obviously the bent wheel was throwing the balance off that 1 tire. Those are the lowest readings I have ever had on a Raptor tire.

DSC01133.jpg

I am very pleased with the road noise (or lack thereof). For such an aggressive tire, they are extremely smooth. There is a faint howl at highway speeds, but nothing you can even hear with the windows up and the radio on. I was concerned they would vibrate but they do not whatsoever. I have them set @44PSI for now, I think they could easily go a little lower. I'm going to drive for a while and observe the tread wear and decide what to do from there.

DSC01131.jpg

Since there's so little info on these tires in the Raptor world, I will keep you guys updated on how they perform in rain, dirt, mud and before too long...snow :baby:.

Definitely check these out if you're looking for new tires. Here's their website: Kananti Tires

Edit 9/6: After another several days I can say the dry traction and handling are excellent. Very little loss of traction under hard acceleration, and the stiffer sidewall is noticeably more confidence inspiring around corners.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. Haven't heard much about Kanati BUT GBC makes some great Utv tires and if they are the same company I wouldn't doubt the Kanati.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What great timing for this! I have seen a bunch of new tires lately here, but they are all A/T versions, and I need M/Ts.

I agree they look very similar to my beloved Toyos. I can not account for how they have the same E Load Range, 10 Ply rated tire and yet come in so much lighter, but that would certainly provide the best of all worlds.

I will be sure to take a close look when I see ya at Havoc and will be interested to see how they look by the end of the weekend.

Another huge plus of these could very well be availabilty as Toyos seem to alway be on constant backorder and I will need new rubber by the Winter.

Thanks for the heads-up Andy. :favorites13:

Last edited:

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10ply with a 3ply sidewall, and light. Good find.

kinda like a hybrid of the Toyo MT and the new Toyo RT

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
One thing I believe will be big for these tires is the sidewall treatment near the tread. It's got some good heft to it and runs the entire perimeter of the sidewall, rather than just having lugs. So in other words it will definitely help to protect the sidewall from puncturing when you air down.

Wvraptor13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted these awhile back- they also have a tire very similar to duratrac. I believe I'm gonna buy a set for my regular wheels to run in winter. (The a/t)

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those look good. I'll guess I might have to become a member of Sam's Club again, since that's only place around here that sales them...