New tire recommendations for California mountains.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

East Bay Operator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting a new set of tires this week. I really like the General Grabbers or Nitto Trail Graps. I could care less about road noise or tread wear. Will see quite a bit of off road in the Cali mountains, loose dirt, rocks and a bit of snow. Ive heard mixed reviews of Generals so not sure what to think, if I did go with those Id get them siped. I know I'm sure this has been discussed but just looking to get updated opinions from you fellas. Thanks in advance.

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
General Grabbers and snow were not a good mix for anyone I know who tried them. Siping would help but from firsthand accounts I am not sure how much.
My Trail Grapplers are great in deep snow but sketchy on pavement with a little snow. Wanted to get them sipped but didn't last winter. Maybe I will when I replace them soon.

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Getting a new set of tires this week. I really like the General Grabbers or Nitto Trail Graps. I could care less about road noise or tread wear. Will see quite a bit of off road in the Cali mountains, loose dirt, rocks and a bit of snow. Ive heard mixed reviews of Generals so not sure what to think, if I did go with those Id get them siped. I know I'm sure this has been discussed but just looking to get updated opinions from you fellas. Thanks in advance.

I've had the Trail Grappler MTs on my previous 3 trucks. I will never use another tire. Just did 420 miles yesterday on the Desert Heat run. Lots of rocks. LOTS. Tires took it like a champ. Those running Nittos=no flats. Everyone else=3 flats.

So let's do some math. 5 of the 16 trucks had Nittos. Gives us 11 trucks not running Nittos. We all took the same route and 3 people not running Nittos got a flat. 11/3=27%.

So this was a major run. 420 miles. And 27% of people not running Nittos got a flat. Coincidence? Very well could be. With the exception of Connor, our trucks are relatively the same. We all took the same terrain. You decide for yourself after being presented with the facts.

slowest member of WCPR

MotoDuc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jack

How many of the flats were stock? I want to join but still have stock tires.

I wanna saw all of them. Don't let your tires hold you back. That was a grueling course and 73% of stockers DIDNT get a flat

slowest member of WCPR

Like Jack said don't let your tires hold you back. I ran my stock BFG's this weekend on the Desert Heat run and no flats or issues.

Raptor Expeditions

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
One minor correction, we had 16 trucks haha.

Nittos seem like a solid tire. It generally helps the less siping the tire has. The sipes allow the rocks to get hold and rip chunks out. Nittos and BFG MT's have less siping than a lot of other MT's

str8fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody ever run pro comp xterrains? Dunno if they r even still around but I used to run them on my sas'ed explorer and loved them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk