Need Advice - New Tires This Week

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents is this,

Bfg all terrain. Why? Well it's a light tire, one of the lightest and has lesser rolling resistance. For a daily driver these are important with braking, acceleration and fuel mileage.

They look mice, they're quiet for an all terrain and they perform well in dirt, ok in mud and ride well.

The truck was designed to run these tires, do some work better? Of course they do but in my experience and from what seems to be your driving style/area these fit the bill. They have a rim protector bead which will help on your larger wheels as well.

I've looked and looked for months regarding tires and most seem to be crazy heavy, more tire yes but for a dd it just didn't make sense to burn more fuel and eat up brake performance on the street for the few times in comparison I would be off road.

I almost bought the p3's or wildpeaks but the bfg won in the end simply because I knew their performance through numerous sets.

I was interested in the **** cepik fun country and the new fuel tire looks interesting but tire weight was very important for me. Also keep in mind tire compounds in your hotter climate.

This all being said, my next summer set will be wildpeaks just to try them out after seeing a set in person.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My 2 cents is this,

Bfg all terrain. Why? Well it's a light tire, one of the lightest and has lesser rolling resistance. For a daily driver these are important with braking, acceleration and fuel mileage.

They look mice, they're quiet for an all terrain and they perform well in dirt, ok in mud and ride well.

The truck was designed to run these tires, do some work better? Of course they do but in my experience and from what seems to be your driving style/area these fit the bill. They have a rim protector bead which will help on your larger wheels as well.

I've looked and looked for months regarding tires and most seem to be crazy heavy, more tire yes but for a dd it just didn't make sense to burn more fuel and eat up brake performance on the street for the few times in comparison I would be off road.

I almost bought the p3's or wildpeaks but the bfg won in the end simply because I knew their performance through numerous sets.

I was interested in the **** cepik fun country and the new fuel tire looks interesting but tire weight was very important for me. Also keep in mind tire compounds in your hotter climate.

This all being said, my next summer set will be wildpeaks just to try them out after seeing a set in person.

If you really want a light tire, the BFG AT and KM2 are great tires. But those KM2s get very expensive very quickly. Like CP Raptor, tire weight is a big concern to me, especially since I'll be jumping to 37s once these BFGs get a little more wear on them. But the weight is why I decided to go with the Cooper. It's one of the lightest in it's category and the price is good. Also, Jordan@Apollo-Optics is running the Cooper ST Maxx after I told him about it and he's been extremely pleased with the results both on and off the pavement. You really can't go wrong with the BFG or the Cooper, but I think the Cooper ST Maxx is a better bang for the buck and has MT looks on an AT tire.

Here's some of the best pricing I've found:
TreadDepot.com: Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx Tires Black Wall (35-1250 R20LT 121Q) 90000019942

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Design is always about compromises. (I learned that working for the Army.) In this case less mass means less rubber, and less rubber means less something. It'll be less tread depth, less resistance to tread penetration, less sidewall protection, etc. But you get things in return in this compromise - maybe better fuel economy. I suppose it depends upon how you use the truck.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Toyo A/T 2's would be my 1st choice. But, they are hard to find, I waited about 6 weeks for mine. They look awesome and are only slightly louder than the stock BFG's.

DSC_5588_zps4da29c79.jpg.

DSC_5599_zpsa0854ef2.jpg

mjyst3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mickey Thompson ATZ P3
37x12.50x17

I really did want the toyo AT II. However they are on backorder for a good while and they didn't come in 37". I may get a set of 35's for winter tires.

As for the ATZ P3's, they are a great tire no complaints at all. Haven't had them off road yet. But for daily driving they are great.

Sorry for crappy pics.

20140709_164937.jpg

20140709_164825.jpg

20140709_165201.jpg

FP Forged

Justin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:birgits_tiredcoffeeThe only two USA tire Mfg's are Cooper & Good Year:patriot:
Nitto and Toyo have two huge plants in the USA. Their tires are embossed "made in usa" right on the sidewall. So they are USA mfgr's, just based out of Japan.
Here is set in stock made in the USA.
2ilir60.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPYC-2X

SPYC-2X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mickey Thompson ATZ P3
37x12.50x17

I really did want the toyo AT II. However they are on backorder for a good while and they didn't come in 37". I may get a set of 35's for winter tires.

As for the ATZ P3's, they are a great tire no complaints at all. Haven't had them off road yet. But for daily driving they are great.

Wow! Very nice. How's the road noise? Any balance issues?

Mickey Thompsons are also American - they were acquired by Cooper in 2003.

mjyst3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No balance issues. They are louder than stock but not by much.

I really would hate to classify them as AT tire. They are a true hybrid. Much to aggressive for a AT tire lol.

All in all i am happy with the out come of them. I really wanted to try 37's. My winter setup will be 35's for sure.

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitto and Toyo have two huge plants in the USA. Their tires are embossed "made in usa" right on the sidewall.
So they are USA mfgr's, just based out of Japan.
Here is set in stock made in the USA.
2ilir60.jpg

You got that right - Just Based Out of Japan = Meaning money going back to Mother Company

Cooper & GoodYear are just based "IN" the---> USA

-------------Follow the Money-------------