Need Advice - New Tires This Week

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SPYC-2X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on which tires to get this week. I currently have a set of General Grabbers 35x12.5x20s, but they are LOUD and rough. I would like to get a good all-terrain tire that will still get me out of a bind when off-road - kinda the best of both worlds I guess.

Here are my typical driving conditions:
The truck is my daily driver used in/around town (Dallas area)
Primary off-road use is when hunting (west Texas, south Texas and Louisiana)
No rock climbing

And here's what I'm considering:
Toyo Open Country A/T II
Nitto Trail Grappler M/T
Nitto Terra Grappler
Others...???

I'm also thinking about a mid-perch adjustment. Will that allow me to fit some 355/60s under there without cutting anything? How much should I expect to pay for the adjustment?

All thoughts and opinions welcome. Thanks in advance!

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I paid $200 for midperch adjustment. I went with 315/70/18 Toyo MTs but cant comment on the ride yet, get installed hopefully later this week.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Everyone seems to love toyos, they have a nice agressive look and drive good on the street, definitely in my near future.

jkscuba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no personal experience with the grabbers, but I'm guessing most MTs are going to be louder than them. I have the Nitto Trail Grapplers MT and you can hear the whine on the highway. Between my exhaust, radio, and sound deadening in the cab though they do not bother me. Ride can be subjective but I'm happy with them at mid perch.

That being said I'm very interested in how the upcoming Toyo RT fair. In between an AT & MT could be promising if they pull it off. September eta or something like that...

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just got a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 315/70R17 (the factory size) last week. I canvassed the market, and it came down to the Duratracs and the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar tires. Although the MT/Rs are a more modern, asymmetrical design, Goodyear rates it on a par with the Duratracs in only two categories, and the Duratracs exceed the MT/Rs in all other categories. I read ratings, surveys and reviews on all relevant tires, and I went to the Goodyear shop convinced that the Duratracs were the right tire. I asked the salesman, an avid off-roader, for his opinion of the two tires, and he said that he preferred the Duratracs.

A week later I have no doubts. They are not at all loud for a tire with as coarse a tread, and in fact I don't think that they are any louder than the factory BFGs. Rolling resistance seems to be very good, too. They're stiffer than the BGSs, I think.

OP
OP
SPYC-2X

SPYC-2X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good information.

I visited a performance shop today that recommended looking at the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3. Introduced me to a customer of his that had 70,000 miles on a set. Any opinions on Mickey Thompsons???

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

I just got a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 315/70R17 (the factory size) last week. I canvassed the market, and it came down to the Duratracs and the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar tires. Although the MT/Rs are a more modern, asymmetrical design, Goodyear rates it on a par with the Duratracs in only two categories, and the Duratracs exceed the MT/Rs in all other categories. I read ratings, surveys and reviews on all relevant tires, and I went to the Goodyear shop convinced that the Duratracs were the right tire. I asked the salesman, an avid off-roader, for his opinion of the two tires, and he said that he preferred the Duratracs.

A week later I have no doubts. They are not at all loud for a tire with as coarse a tread, and in fact I don't think that they are any louder than the factory BFGs. Rolling resistance seems to be very good, too. They're stiffer than the BGSs, I think.

Unfortunately, Duratracs are not available in the right size. My truck is big ***** - 20" wheels.

Snowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had nothing but great experiences with Nitto. The Trail Grapplers are a little loud, but the Terra Grapplers would be a great choice.