M/T tire help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svtippy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will be pulling the trigger on some new 35inch tires in the next week or two and i cant make up my mind on the toyo open country m/t and the nitto trail grappler m/t i like the look of both a lot but i live in nj and dont get to go off-road as much as i like i know i sould go with a a/t but i dont care about road noise at all my question is to everyone who has them how are they in the rain and snow and do you prefer one over the other thank you in advance i know there are a lot of similar threads

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have Trail Grapplers on now. Haven't tried the Toyo yet. I love the traction in the dirt, mud, sand and deep snow off road. Any snow on road and my truck is a bit like a pig on ice skates compared to the stock tires. Not a great tire for wet roads. They aren't supposed to be either. Wear wise I have driven them aggressively and they show it. Didn't chunk noticeably at Havoc last year with tons of rocks. I am probably replacing them before next month's off road trip because they are worn through about 1/2 the tread. That is about 12K miles. Not ideal wear so not sure what I will replace them with. I do have to give them credit they are awesome in the dirt.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For street use it's great. Off-road no. Just increases chunking exponentially

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
has anyone added siping to these tires and is it a good or bad idea
The guy at Discount Tire near me is a Raptor owner too. He recommended not doing it due to the tires most likely chunking too quickly. Said he has done these and Toyo without much luck. Your results may vary.

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ordered a set of Toyo MT in 315/70/18 and Method NV's - having a bit of an issue getting everything to my door but should have the issues resolved this week and can post pics when I get them installed.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

I'm running the toyo m/t 315/70r18 on method mesh wheels. Love the set up. I took a video of the roar of them at a few different speeds. I'll post the link below.

2011 raptor exhaust drone & toyo mt sound: 2011 raptor exhaust drone & toyo mt sound - YouTube

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Stupid question - in the video, there is a screen that looks like its showing the mph and other data, what is that screen??

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
I ordered a set of Toyo MT in 315/70/18 and Method NV's - having a bit of an issue getting everything to my door but should have the issues resolved this week and can post pics when I get them installed.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

Stupid question - in the video, there is a screen that looks like its showing the mph and other data, what is that screen??
Lowrance elite-5m Baja Offroad GPS system. I have it set (from the top) to show

Speed
Top speed recorded
Time
Date
Trip distance
Battery voltage

Along with all that you can pre load run data into it and it helps you know what's ahead as well as add cautions to the trail such as corners and blind jumps etc.

Awesome machine! Also I have it mounted to the LGE CTS motorsports mount which is convenient because it has knurled screws on the side you can loosen and fold it down out of the way when you aren't using it.

jaqyje4y.jpg

genuvede.jpg

nubyhugy.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk