Lug wrench does not fit lug nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven't had to change your tire, suggest checking the lug wrench that comes with your truck actually fits the wheel lug nuts. Mine didn't.
I got 24 new lug nuts from the dealer, no charge. I found out the hard way on the trail, luckily had my impact wrench and deep well sockets.

OP
OP
siooss

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya, but in my situation, they were mismatched, not a swelling issue.

OP
OP
siooss

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From dealer, it was their demo model, with 4,000 miles on it. The mechanics at the dealership tried the wrench and it didn't fit, this was days afterwards and after only 10 mile drive, go figure! Wrench fits perfectly now. I have a 2012. Here is the lug nut part number from dealership 4L3Z-1012-A, NUT - W 650527. My 21mm deep socket fits perfectly.

Unraptor

Reaction score
I just had my 2018 Raptor serviced (LOF & tire rotation) at my Ford dealer. I was watching as they rotated the tires, and saw they were beating on the lug nuts with a socket and hammer. I asked why the hell they were beating on my lug nuts, and I was told my lug nuts had swelled, and it was a known issue by Ford. They had to beat the socket on to fit onto the swollen lug nuts. I told them to go ahead and replace all the lug nuts since the truck is under warranty. They told me Ford won’t replace them, it is considered “normal wear & tear”. I’ve been driving for 42 years and never had to replace a lug nut. Seems Ford had a “better idea” and put a cap on the lug nut that swells and corrodes with heat & moisture and becomes impossible to remove with a stock lug wrench if you have a flat on the side of the road or in the middle of the dessert.
These capped lug nuts are cheaper than a 1 piece steel lug nut, so I’m guessing that’s why they used them. I am now out $180.00 to buy GOOD 1 piece steel lug nuts that will have no future issues. On a truck that cost a bundle, and is meant for off roading and desert running, why cut corners on something like a simple lug nut? And this is after having a new APIM installed, new cam phasers installed, and being in the shop for a week to figure out they had to flash the ECM after getting a warning light when the truck would seem to go into limp mode.
Thinking about going back to Chevy

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just had my 2018 Raptor serviced (LOF & tire rotation) at my Ford dealer. I was watching as they rotated the tires, and saw they were beating on the lug nuts with a socket and hammer. I asked why the hell they were beating on my lug nuts, and I was told my lug nuts had swelled, and it was a known issue by Ford. They had to beat the socket on to fit onto the swollen lug nuts. I told them to go ahead and replace all the lug nuts since the truck is under warranty. They told me Ford won’t replace them, it is considered “normal wear & tear”. I’ve been driving for 42 years and never had to replace a lug nut. Seems Ford had a “better idea” and put a cap on the lug nut that swells and corrodes with heat & moisture and becomes impossible to remove with a stock lug wrench if you have a flat on the side of the road or in the middle of the dessert.
These capped lug nuts are cheaper than a 1 piece steel lug nut, so I’m guessing that’s why they used them. I am now out $180.00 to buy GOOD 1 piece steel lug nuts that will have no future issues. On a truck that cost a bundle, and is meant for off roading and desert running, why cut corners on something like a simple lug nut? And this is after having a new APIM installed, new cam phasers installed, and being in the shop for a week to figure out they had to flash the ECM after getting a warning light when the truck would seem to go into limp mode.
Thinking about going back to Chevy
Welcome to the place. Yeah, why don't you trade it in for a Chevy Volt, they don't have any issue's at all
1631141059698.png

Gen1Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swollen lug nuts is in fact a common problem. It’s not only common with Ford, but also with Toyota’s, Chrysler, Jeep, and Dodge. It comes from the way that they make the lug nuts. Instead of making me whole lug nut one piece of metal they make the lug nut and then put a metal beauty cover over the top of the thick metal lug nut so that they look more desirable and cleaner on the car.

Unraptor

Reaction score
No thanks, not that kind of Chevy. Anyway, I love driving my Raptor when it’s not in the shop. Best looking truck around as well. Hopefully I won’t have any more issues, but I guess I just gotta roll with it. BTW, Ford sent me a $250.00 gift card for being in the shop so many times, with their apologies.