KMC XD 222 wheels installing on Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Vegas Raptor

Vegas Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is gonna sound dumb BUT where are the weights placed on the barrel of the wheel?

I ask because I had some Advan GT wheels put on my GTR and in an effort to hide the weights so that you couldn't see them from the outside, the tire place put the weights on the far edge of the barrel as to make them not be seen once the tire is mounted. They should have been placed closer to the actual spokes and this I got vibration at 75-80 mph.

I doubt this is the case with your wheels but it's worth taking a look. I had to have the weights on my wheels remounted and the vibration went away.

MF RAPTOR

Well we tried your repositioning idea of the tire wheel weights, but it didn't work out. I will have to reschedule the truck for a forced balance next week. Also, the low pressure light came on yesterday and it wont go out. Strange how it lasted this long before appearing.

OP
OP
Vegas Raptor

Vegas Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well we tried your repositioning idea of the tire wheel weights, but it didn't work out. I will have to reschedule the truck for a forced balance next week. Also, the low pressure light came on yesterday and it wont go out. Strange how it lasted this long before appearing.

Well jury is in...I cannot extinguish the "Low Pressure" light on the dash. Funny it took about five days to fault on me. I took it to the dealer and they could not help me. Yes you can put a black sticker over the light itself, but you also get a warning sentence on the dash as well. So you cannot put a sticker over that problem. I didn't know about the verbiage warning in the dash. You have to hit the odometer reset/mode button to get out of the warning mode. Every time you start the truck it will be there. Yes you could reinstall the old TPMS since 2010 won’t tell you which tire is low, but the warning would be gone. Not too keen on breaking down four bead lock wheels to make that one happen. Also, did the force balance as well! One hundred dollars to do that one! Even thou they said we put 6 to 8 OZ of weights to each wheel it would not solve the vibration issue starting at 65mph. So in every mod there is has a price to pay. Sometimes you don't know what it is until you cross the bridge sort of speak. That's why it’s important to do the research and try to find all variables involved. That's can be hard at time because you cannot cover everything or know what to ask. I am done trying to rebalance it out and will live with the vibration, but its always worth a shot in making it happen.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 146

ModFreaksRAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The important thing is that the truck looks good lol. My wheels didn't come in on Thursday, turns out KMC sent them to the retail store I bought them from instead of drop shipping directly to me. SMH!

I have a 2010, do all raptors have a TPMS system? I was under the impression mine didn't. I also thought you were using an aftermarket TPMS system. Is this true?

MF RAPTOR

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I doubt they actually did a proper Road Force correction for you.
The Road Force machine will measure your run out of the wheel and tire and then they would have to take your wheel and tire apart and reinstall. With beadlock wheels they probably said screw it and added more weight.
Most MT tires have more than one bad spot on them so matching low spots to high becomes fruitless. Some tire shops have a blade that can remove some rubber to make them round, as some tires have a football shape, triangle shape or square shape.
You may be able to add balancing beads to help with the vibration if you haven't given up.

OP
OP
Vegas Raptor

Vegas Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt they actually did a proper Road Force correction for you.
The Road Force machine will measure your run out of the wheel and tire and then they would have to take your wheel and tire apart and reinstall. With beadlock wheels they probably said screw it and added more weight.
Most MT tires have more than one bad spot on them so matching low spots to high becomes fruitless. Some tire shops have a blade that can remove some rubber to make them round, as some tires have a football shape, triangle shape or square shape.
You may be able to add balancing beads to help with the vibration if you haven't given up.

Wow...that was good Justvettn...The tech did say he had to take one apart, but I told him it was a true beadlock wheel/tire...As soon as he heard that, GAME OVER! So who makes the best balancing beads for the truck?

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

The important thing is that the truck looks good lol. My wheels didn't come in on Thursday, turns out KMC sent them to the retail store I bought them from instead of drop shipping directly to me. SMH!

I have a 2010, do all raptors have a TPMS system? I was under the impression mine didn't. I also thought you were using an aftermarket TPMS system. Is this true?

MF RAPTOR

Sorry about the delay...no one here like to here...wait longer...errrrr I would assume all 2010 Raptor have TPMS!? Can someone chime in?

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dynabeads is the brand I have heard mentioned over and over. Think you can add them through your valve stem so you dont have to take your wheels apart again.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would keep the weights on for lower speed and the Dynabeads would only kick in at higher speeds.

OP
OP
Vegas Raptor

Vegas Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would keep the weights on for lower speed and the Dynabeads would only kick in at higher speeds.

The dyna beads are on order...not too sure when they will get here. I will keep the weights on for the low speed aspect and will let you all know the outcome when it comes to it conclusion.

OP
OP
Vegas Raptor

Vegas Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fox 3.0

With the new tires/wheels installed there is an offset tire rub problem on the fenders. I get it on sharp turns and reverses as well. I can’t imagine what it would have been in the desert after some serious punishments on compression strokes... And I don't want to find out. I didn't want Mid-perch on the stock FOX 2.0 shocks...So; I bought a front pair of FOX 3.0 reservoir shocks to take care of the problem. Man those things are wicked! All rubbing is now gone. The truck is now leveled...Half of the dyna-beads I ordered are in today. No too much longer to wait. The Mag-Hytec diff cover is installed and the Borla touring exhaust should be in late this week or next week as well! The truck is riding a bit smoother...I don't know if the shocks have something to do with it or if I am getting used to it now. I know steering wheel vibration IS DOWN as of today. A big thanks to the guys at "4 the Truck" on the installs!
IMG_0015.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited: