Installed 37" tires- speedo correct now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put on a set of Toyo RT tires, 37x12.5x17 on my Raptor. I expected the speedo to be off, but I've passed three radar speed signs that indicated my speedo is correct. I tried 4 different GPS apps for speed, all indicated speedo was accurate or indicated up to 2mph slow.
If my gearing is stock (CPO truck with 17k when I bought it), how is the speedo accurate with "true" 37's?

farman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put on a set of Toyo RT tires, 37x12.5x17 on my Raptor. I expected the speedo to be off, but I've passed three radar speed signs that indicated my speedo is correct. I tried 4 different GPS apps for speed, all indicated speedo was accurate or indicated up to 2mph slow.
If my gearing is stock (CPO truck with 17k when I bought it), how is the speedo accurate with "true" 37's?

Did you test your speedo before you put on the 37s. My truck when it was completely stock always read about 2 mph faster then what I was actually doing at around 70-75 mph.
Also the truck could have been tuned for 37s before you. But you probably know if the truck was tuned

Last edited:

JDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My speedo is only off by 4 mph @ 70 with 37's. So when doing 70 mph I'm actually doing 74.

Also, I guess mine aren't "true" 37's though lol.

hagak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most speedo will read a faster speed than actual. So if you go larger tires you are just moving closer to actual speed.

OP
OP
Conejoracer

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Did you test your speedo before you put on the 37s. My truck when it was completely stock always read about 2 mph faster then what I was actually doing at around 70-75 mph.
Also the truck could have been tuned for 37s before you. But you probably know if the truck was tuned

I never really tested it, but over the last 76k I've put on it, I have occasionally thought my speedo read faster than I was really going. Now, at 70 on the speedo, GPS reads true or up to +2 depending on the app. It's the same at 35, 45, 55, 65.
I'm pretty sure there is not a prior tune installed, the dealer would have caught that at some point.
Other than the slight power loss, the upside is my speedo is apparently good to go.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be curious if this effects the onboard MPG estimates too? What is it saying your MPG's are looking like?

I know "the tune" by SVC makes it easy to adjust tire revolutions. I love the tune and maybe it'll help compensate for the slight loss of power your reporting too.

OP
OP
Conejoracer

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'll report on the milage after I put some addition miles on it. I may go to a tune, or just regear depending on how well I can deal with the power loss.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I have noticed that my speedo with the factory tires is about 3 mph off when compared to GPS data (speedo shows 70, actual speed is 67).

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yon can adjust for tire size without tuning. It's a calibration adjustment and would most likely go unnoticed to a dealer

str8fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got any pics of ur truck I'm about to pull the trigger on some 37 rts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk