Hubcentric rings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize people had these issues. I found a thread where a guy made some low profile center caps that he claims makes the wheels hub centric. There are a few different people making caps like these. This guy says his are hub centric though, so I PMed him and am curious if he'd make some for me for a fee. Even though I haven't had issues myself, I think it would be good to make the wheels hub centric AND I like the looks of the smaller caps, so this might be killing two birds with one stone. I will update when I hear back...

BAJA1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the company Motorsport tech that makes custom aluminum good quality hub centric rings to order. I need (method wheel size) 94mm OD to (stock wheel size) 87mm ID. I seems like they charge $25.00 each plus shipping. I think this will solve my problems. I will contact them on Monday and let you know.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Im very interested in that. Main thing is to make wheels hub centric. Thanks for the info, please do keep me informed...

Last edited:

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my methods. A balance issue should not exists with methods if they are balanced right. Just because a shop performs a balance doesn't mean it's correct.

Tires can also cause a vibration at speed so make sure you don't forget to pass some blame to the tire manufacture

I just wanted I make sure people don't use hub rings for hard offroad use with methods.

That assumes the lugs are drilled with enough precision in the rotors by Ford. Since Ford designed the precision to be the hub, and the lugs just hold the wheel on the hub, those lug positions do not have to be that precise.

Also, watch how the balance wheels, they put a cone on the balancer and it centers on the hub of the wheel. So any lack of precision between the hub and where the lugs are drilled will create issues. If this was all done at the wheel manufacturer on a CNC at the same time with one setup it would be precise. But wheel manufacturers do lug centric so they have to make fewer versions of the wheels. They make them with no lugs holes drilled and inventory. then when a wheel is ordered they mount it up and drill.

Bottom line, sometimes the moons align and it's no problem. Other times either Ford didn't precisely position the lugs because they don't have to as Ford's design relies on the hub for alignment and you have issues. Other times the wheel manufacturer lacks some precision in how the lug holes are drilled. Lastly, most tire shops balance off the hub of the rim, and not the lug holes so if the lug holes aren't perfectly positioned, the wheels won't be perfectly balanced.

And still others times the buyers of the wheels don't care if they are perfectly balanced.

OP
OP
LONGISLANDRAPTOR

LONGISLANDRAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rotors do not house the lugs. The lugs are machined and pressed into the hub.

Also lug spacing and center is definitely a tolerance that ford or any manufacturer takes into account. Most wheels use acorn seat lug nuts witch are taper seat style. If the lug holes, or lug stud location was not a tight tolerance, when torquing the lugs the taper of the lugs would not fully seat with the wheels and you would have inaccurate torque readings, and unsafe mounting of the wheel.

In my experience with balancing wheels, and watching other techs mess up balancing wheels is either the use of the wrong cone for the wheel being used on the balancer, or inputting the wrong wheel dimensions into the balancer.

Also you can balance a wheel till your blue in the face, but if that wheel has a tire with a shifted belt, you will never get a true balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BAJA1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke to Lenny at Motorsport tech. and they can make the hub centric rings for our Method wheels. They can make a billet aluminum ring that can be used without a center cap $25 ea. They also make them with a built in black center cap short in length for $40. ea. I think I will order a set and try.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been talking to my guy about the hub centric caps. These are different than the rings because they actually replace the entire cap on the methods. They are flush and can have them made with SVT logo engraved. You've probably seen ones very similar being sold. I don't believe that the other ones that I've seen are hub centric. These are. I'm paying around $200 for a set. He said that he doesn't really want to advertise but if someone is interested I could pass along his info. Feel free to PM me if you are serious. Not really wanting to be a salesman here, just will pass along his info if someone is genuinely interested.