How to carry two 37's in your bed for $110

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So since I was kinda bored tonight.... figured I'd document my new little mod and hopefully it helps out anyone else figuring out "Where the hell do I put all these tires?!?!"

Parts:
SDHQ 3 way stap ($79 shipped) SDHQ 3-Way Adjustable Spare Tire Strap
US Cargo 2" L-Track Tie Down Kit ($31.48 shipped) Motorcycle Anchor Points - Tie Down Anchors w/ L-track Fittings

Few reasons I mounted things the way I did:
1) wanted the weight of the two tires as far back as I could get it
2) The sheet metal by the tailgate is doubled up so I figured it would carry the load of one point a bit better. The two front mounts were placed where its just a single piece of sheet metal. Also, I was concerned if I put the ratchet end facing the cab, the bolts would land too close to the bed cross member.
3) having the ratchet sandwiched between the tailgate and the tires essentially keeps it locked; have to lower the tailgate to open the rachet and release the strap. Not to mention, you can reach it without ever having to get up in the truck.

Anyhow, super freakin easy install... pics explain it all. I took my time and measured out where I wanted the tie down points to land and give me a hair extra room for when I one day go to "real" 37's. Took picks of the measurements for anyone that wants to knock it out in 5 minutes.

Only thing thats not shown is I ran a kyrptonite cable through the tires and over to one of the factory tie down points and pad locked everything down.... just incase someone decides to cut the strap and try to steal my trucks shoes.

BTW.... shout out to the guys at @SDHQ for going and taking the time to look at the straps to see itd fit over two 37's! This thing could probably strap down two 44's if you needed it to.... beefy ass strap!

Attachments

• IMG_5430.jpg
    IMG_5430.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_5431.jpg
    IMG_5431.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_5432.jpg
    IMG_5432.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_5434.jpg
    IMG_5434.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_5435.jpg
    IMG_5435.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_5437.jpg
    IMG_5437.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_5440.jpg
    IMG_5440.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_5441.jpg
    IMG_5441.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_5442.jpg
    IMG_5442.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_5444.jpg
    IMG_5444.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score

BlackMamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a very similar set up. Has worked great at TRRs and in Baja.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Weigh just eyeballing it, they sit about 3" above the top of the bed. When I look out my rear view mirror... They sit lower than the center seats little headrest as well.

Not starting any shit, just curious - why not carry one spare underneath in the stock location?

OP
OP
D

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not starting any shit, just curious - why not carry one spare underneath in the stock location?
Bro-life..... *runs out, paints my flares white and hangs moto-goggles from my rearview mirror real quick like* *adds monster energy and metal mulisha sticker for +15HP*

Same could be said for anyone with a vertical rack in the back and 37's of smaller.... why not just make a smaller rack that carries one tire and keep the other one underneath? :p

THAT being said... main reason I have it is because:
1) I'm gonna have one strapped down already, so why not 2.
2) Who wants to deal with trying to get a big ass tire out from under their truck when they're offroad? Id rather not crawl in the dirt for no reason or keep that stupid spare tire tool around; Heaven forbid youre in sand or snow and almost need to dig it out.
3) Im rotating both spares through the truck currently so its easy to access. Plus, keeps my wheel and tire from getting filthy/stained by dirt and road grim hanging out under there. Sure everyone has seen what a spare looks like after a few thousand miles tucked up in there. (biggest reason actually)
4) Looks bitchen, chicks dig it, and it makes an awesome spot to sit down and eat a burrito while checking out the fine ass gals at the beach.