GPS error due to 37" tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tec548

tec548

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I was not sure they would or even could do it.

Just take it to the dealer and have them recalibrate your speedo to the new tire size. They hook it up to a laptop and drive around to calibrate. It cost me $80 to have it done on my last Ford.

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's my deal.

Dealer 1 told me the ******** about my 37s and denied my warranty claim.

Dealer 2 told me "this is a common issue with F150s but not with Raptors. But since it's the same nav unit, let's try to fix it". The reinstalled my program, took like 5 hours. Never had an issue and didn't pay a dime.

All I can say is that some dealers don't know what the **** they're talking about.

FYI dealer 1 is Star Ford in Glendale, Ca who did a no questions asked warranty repair on my drivers side vacuum line but then denied my GPS. They also denied JustinBeibers GPS issue

Dealer #2 is Ken Grody Ford in La Habra. They're the #1 Raptor dealer in the nation and know the ins and outs of our truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is interesting, mine does this too, didn't even consider that it started right when I went to 37's.

OP
OP
tec548

tec548

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to the dealer today (Tomball Ford) and as soon as I told them I was having problems with the NAV they looked at my truck and said it was because of the tires. They said they could try a reset on the NAV unit but that probably would not fix anything (I agree that this shouldn't do anything to fix the problem). Other than that, they said they can't do anything to fix it and that Fird is aware of the issue (all the trucks with NAV suffer the same affliction) but does not care and does not have a remedy.
Anyone else out there fix this issue? How did you do it? Who fixed it and/or what can I tell a shop/dealer to get this lined out. I know there is a fix, I just don't have anyone here that knows or cares.
BTW... Spoke with a NAV tech and he said that Ford NAV only pings the satellite every few minutes and uses the sensors in the truck to calculate the position.

Thanks for the help!

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booooooo....Ford....one would think with today's technology. This would not be an issue...now I really understand why there are so many aftermarket NAV options for the Truck...

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Would a speedo recalibration fix the issue or are people having issues even with the speedo re-calibrated?

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I mean, if the Nav is using wheel speed input based on tire size, and changing tires throws it off. Then it seems that going to the dealer to have the speedo recalibrated would fix this issue.

charles06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to have someone with 37's AND new gears chime in. One thing I've learned with all of the trucks I've lifted is that if you're going to invest in bigger tires, don't cheap out and not re-gear the truck. Makes a HUGE difference. Yes, you can re-calibrate a speedo, but the powerband and transmission is still thrown off.

As a side note, I find it really interesting that Ford's NAV works in conjunction with their speedo, gears, tires, or whatever it is. I have a Hummer H2 on 40's with a Kenwood NAV unit, and it works perfectly. I wonder why Ford found it necessary to use something other than a simple antennae to run their NAV.