General Grabbers Tire info and more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my search for my new set of tires, I found that Treadepot.com is selling the new dot general grabbers for 227.00 a tire. This is the 35/12.50/17 load range D that will fit our Raptors. The do not have them available yet, but should have them in two weeks. Also looks like treadepot is calling them the "Grabber Extreme Traction", which is good because their current cluster F of a name seems to be "dot approved general grabber, grabber".

I had narrowed my choice down to the BFG km2's, the cooper stt, and the goodyear mtr kevlar. I tried to pull the trigger on the km2's but seems they are on intergalactic back order, so F them. So now its between the goodyears and coopers. (Anyone got some thoughts??????)

I really like the looks of the dot approved grabbers grabber, but with no real world feed back from the public I don't want to chance them.

Ideas? thoughts??

Oh yeah, treadepot also quoted me 25$ a tire to ship to my area of CO.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I already had mine on so I could give you proper feedback.
In what kind of timeframe are you looking to make a decision?

OP
OP
pirate air

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I already had mine on so I could give you proper feedback.
In what kind of timeframe are you looking to make a decision?

I know, I wish you did too.

Since I have cuts down to the cords, I'm trying to make a wise but quick decision.

I probably would've gotten the goodyears by now, since they seem to have an overall good feed back and average to good ice traction review for that type of tire, BUT damn their some freaking ugly tires. Looks like goodyear forgot to mold the rest of the tread blocks on, and of course you have to run the white letters out since they don't give you a choice.

Oh and,
The goodyears are also lighter due to all the fancy overpriced kevlar cords I guess. They weigh 4 pounds over the stockers where the grabbers are like 14 I think. Another selling point in my mind for the goodyears.....

Last edited:

BOJANGLES

Supporting Member
Reaction score
back when I googled reviews on the Generals I saw nothing but a ton of positives. There seem to be quite a few people that aren't your average bear singing them praises.

Where have you seen any negative or bad reviews? I'm curious as to why you're skeptical of them......

BOJANGLES

Supporting Member
Reaction score
you mentioned snow concerns, but do you really think those other options you're talking about will perform better in the frozen *******?

OP
OP
pirate air

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any bad review about the generals. All the reviews I have seen have been good praises, but their also done by magazines. I don't put full trust in magazine reviews, and none of the reviews have been long term, which is to be expected. The only person I've heard talk about them is the guy from SDHQ over on the Z. He said he preferred the toyo m/t's over them, but no reasoning why.

As for winter,
The coopers are a popular tire around here (as well as any goodyear). A guy I work with runs the exact same tire on a jeep and says they do good during the winter for what they are (a mud tire). The interweb user reviews seem to be mixed on winter traction for the stt. So I think some professional "traction test doughnuts" may be in order to compare before and after results of some "strategically" hand placed sipes...... If I get them. The guy at the tire store said he runs siped stt in the winter on his truck (and liked), but he was kinda of a tool, and wanted a mortgage payment on his prices, so F his opinion.

The goodyears..... Three guys I work with run multiple sets of the old style mtr (a sami, a jeep, and a few 4 runners) and they never shut up about how great those tire do in any condition. The new ones are supposed to have quite a bit better wet traction than the old ones. I also haven't found one bad review about them in winter conditions and noticed a few people using them on their snow plow trucks. Also the tool at the tire store said the goodyears would do better than the siped cooper stt's in the winter.

So....... there it tis

OP
OP
pirate air

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got the deavers in the rear and the shocks on number 3? The stance looks good.

BOJANGLES

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got the deavers in the rear and the shocks on number 3? The stance looks good.

Shocks are in top position, but Deavers haven't been installed yet. My truck is in the shop rig now getting a ton of security and radar mods put on. Then I gotta take it to Ford for some warranty stuff, then I'll mount the deavs