Ford Racing Beadlock upgrade rings - any pros / cons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Laurie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be collecting my Raptor on Saturday - and she's already wearing the beadlock-look-alike wheels - and as I intend to use it in the dunes and she's a lot heavier than my Wrangler - the beadlocks seem like a good idea...

Any good / bad experiences with them?

Also while I understand they are officially not for on road use - the fun dunes are quite far away here so they will see road time - and it will do the 10 mile journey each way to the office each day. Any bad experiences on road?

The idea seems really good - just wondering why things like the Method wheels etc. are so popular and more people don't go the Ford Racing route?

1521803_10151843585457647_960178689_n.jpg

Waiting for delivery... (horrible picture quality... the iPhone camera died and the Blackberry really sucks)

Last edited:

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I love the forged beadlocks from Ford for looks, strength and the ability to make them true beadlocks. The downfall like you said is they are not DOT approved if converted. Safe yes but technically not approved for on road us and thus the lament for many of us. Convert them and not worry about it or just keep the wheel as is just because it looks so darn good and just don't go as low on the pressure as you could if converted.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To answer your question, most people are going with the method wheels because of price.
The Ford cast made in China wheels are very expensive to buy from Ford and just the lock ring and bolts that you will need to buy cost about the same as a set of wheels from method.
Most people don't need beadlocks because they will not need to lower tire pressure and don't have the equipment to refill the tires to proper psi before hitting the pave.
Other reasons are most prefer the aggressive look and offset that gives the Raptor a meaner look that the Methods have, and some are just not a fan of the circular hole pattern Ford chose for the wheels.

OP
OP
Laurie

Laurie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer your question, most people are going with the method wheels because of price.
The Ford cast made in China wheels are very expensive to buy from Ford and just the lock ring and bolts that you will need to buy cost about the same as a set of wheels from method.
Most people don't need beadlocks because they will not need to lower tire pressure and don't have the equipment to refill the tires to proper psi before hitting the pave.
Other reasons are most prefer the aggressive look and offset that gives the Raptor a meaner look that the Methods have, and some are just not a fan of the circular hole pattern Ford chose for the wheels.

Ok - good info...

Personally love the circular hole design - it blends with my other two rigs - although I'll be repainting the black part to a light silver, or doing a chrome paint process to match. (I've read that actually chroming the alloy wheel can have structural side effects). Personally think the design is lost being black.

921746_10151418782507647_436761704_o.jpg

887208_10151344493432647_2078179147_o.jpg

For us here in Dubai the dealership has made the beadlock-style wheel a default option - they like to bring in all their cars fully optioned as they work on margins rather than volume... so... as I've essentially bought the wheels anyway and the functional rings will be way cheaper to ship than a full set of wheels - it does sorta make sense financially in this situation.

I will be using the truck in soft sand and as a result will definitely be running low pressures - and will have a heavy duty air compressor on board to re-inflate.

So... as long as there's no functional reason / weakness to be concerned about - then I'm happy :)

OP
OP
Laurie

Laurie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That Bronco is stunning... I really want one of those :)

Very jealous!

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The 2013+ Ford "beadlock" wheels are not cast, they're forged. I'm not sure they're made in China either, but I'll take your word for it. Most forged wheels are made by Alcoa... and American company with American aluminum.

Also, one of my local dealers, Village Ford in Dearborn Michigan gave me a price of $106 each for the Ford Racing beadlock rings w/ bolts.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
$106 dollars is a good price, I think they retail for $700.00 set of 4.
The wheels are cast aluminum that are forged and made in China unfortunately.

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The bead lock wheels are forged, the standard wheels are cast, go to Ford's website and build a raptor, check it for yourself, I would copy and paste it but I can't with my phone