Ford Certified with oversized wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tj raptor

Reaction score
Just got my 2010 6.2L a week ago today. Like a boss. I bought it Ford Certified with 6K miles still left on the original bumper to bumper. However, after taking it to a local Ford dealership (different dealership than purchased) to cancel my ESP (whole nother' story) the conversation came about and they mentioned that the Ford Warranty would never cover the current wheel setup if something went wrong:

Black & Chrome Truck Wheels | BMF Novakane Wheels in 5, 6 & 8 LUG

They are 20x10 death metal Novakanes wrapped in Nitto Terra Grapplers, 325/60, -19mm offset. I went back to the dealership of purchase and told them of my concern. The Ford Certification person was not in, but they would give me the proof I needed because they have to document wheel sizes as part of the certification process. Mind you, the wheel wells have been cut to accommodate the width of this wheel.

Soooo...#1 how could a wheel in which the truck has to be modified to fit be certified AND #2 even if it's proven to be certified, given the size of the wheel setup, should I find a set of stockies? At least until my bumper to bumper expires? Also, I plan on getting the ESP 6/100K just for a cheaper price in which I got dupped in getting originally. Thanks in advance, Cheers.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, ditch those. You will probably tear your flairs off. You don't have to get stockers, but I would change them for something else. Next, what's to be covered on wheels? If you brake them or bend them, they are just going to claim your fault anyways.

OP
OP
tj raptor

tj raptor

Reaction score
First, ditch those. You will probably tear your flairs off. You don't have to get stockers, but I would change them for something else. Next, what's to be covered on wheels? If you brake them or bend them, they are just going to claim your fault anyways.

Wasn't thinking too much about breaking the wheels themselves, more about longer term, bearings, cv joints, etc... I guess my main goal is since I bought it certified like this, the dealership should be liable to replace them.

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They could try to deny anything to do with brakes steering or suspension due change in geometry. Then it would up to to fight. I suppose drive train get sucked in also.
I was amazed that Ford had (apparently) a legit reason to void warranty on engine damage because of after market intake filter setup.
Their game!

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea ditch those wheels that offset is no good on a raptor and holy shit whoever trimmed that pinch weld did a absolutey horrid job haha it's like they did it blind folded I'd get that fixed up so it doesn't look so bad!

OP
OP
tj raptor

tj raptor

Reaction score
Update:
Just got off the phone with SVT and the warranty center; for anybody buying your Raptor with aftermarket wheels and tires--all parts related to them (bearings, axles, etc...) are now not covered under your bumper to bumper warranty even if the dealership that sold it to you promises everything is covered. The only way anything is covered is if the dealer you buy it from puts it in writing listing the specific wheel/tire combo. The dealership flat out lied to me and said they won't affect warranty since "aftermarket wheels" are listed in the FORD certification. Let the battle begin to get the dealership to own up and replace them.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
WOW, good luck! It sounds like the dealer just didn't have a clue. I personally wouldn't stand up for a dealer but, I'm not sure that lied. Maybe they thought the set up was fine. Maybe, they installed the wheel / tire set-up and hacked the wheel wells.

Anyways, I would try to get them to replace the wheels and tires and then re certify it. Then RUN as fast as you can away from that place.

I would not have even thought of how this set-up would effect the rest of the truck in the long term. Are you trying to purchase an entended warranty, being that you only have 6 months left on the original warranty?